Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire clay + Accoset 50

Hi all,
    Completed constructing 32 inch oven few days back. For dome construction I have used medium grade fire brick and for mortar used 4 part fire clay and 2 part Accoset 50 ( as instructed by sales person from where I bought the material for oven construction). Even after 5 days the mortar is still wet. I am afraid to start the curing process. I have few clarifications before starting the first fire.
    1. Is it fine to mix fire clay and accoset 50 for dome construction.
    2. ⁠what are all the long/short term implications I may face.
    3. ⁠Shall I remove the brick and reconstruct the dome again only with refractory mortar like accoset 50?
    Kindly suggest.
    Regards,

If the proportion of clay to any mix exceeds 7% by volume, shrinkage becomes an issue, due to clay’s extremely small particle size. Clay addition to mortars in low proportions does increase strength. However, high clay proportion decreases strength. If the mix were to be taken above sintering temperature the clay becomes fired, hard and permanent, this does not occur in the service temperatures to which we fire. Your refractory salesman sounds as though he has limited refractory knowledge.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your response David. Will remove the bricks and reconstruct from scratch.

Comment

Working...
      X