Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing up:

Hi Folks,

I will probably put the top keystone in my oven tomorrow. I have a question that the plans don't seem to address. The floor of the oven stands, of course, on the Portland cement/vermiculite insulation. Can I pour a concrete apron around the "floor" bricks? I can see nothing that holds the apron bricks in place otherwise.
    I am excercising a great deal of patience, but the call of the first real cooking fire in my oven is starting to get me really excited. I have been working on it for most of the summer.
    Thanks for your help.
    Peter

Re: Finishing up:

Peter,

If I understand your question correctly; You are concerned about locking in the perimeter with concrete. There is a lot of gap between the bricks on the floor to accommodate any expansion. I think you are good to go. Pictures are always welcomed.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,

That is exactly what I was looking for. In my minds eye I envisioned a buckled floor because of expansion. Since the expansion can be accomodated by the gaps between the bricks, I will proceed with the pour. I am almost reluctant to share pictures, what with the masterful work that is displayed in this forum. But, hey, it's my oven and I put a lot of work into it. It may not be the best but it's mine.
      Thank you so much for the quick response.
      Peter

Comment

Peter, never think that! Every oven here is unique, a labour of love, and we're ALWAYS interested in seeing pictures of a new build, however rustic they may be.

Think of it this way, if only the masterfull builders ever post pics, soon no one new will dare even build an oven, let alone post pics their pics. All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't see Les' build before I started mine....

Re your question: I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but if you pour cement round the floor bricks don't forget to insulate first, else you'll be losing heat sidways all round your cooking floor! As far as I know they don't need locking in (though there's nothing against it either), because they're being held in place by gravity in the form of a a huge great heavy oven.
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances:

I appreciate the thought. I have learned a lot on this project and whenever I get involved in another, I will know more about what not to do.
          Regarding the pour around the oven: I was primarily concerned with the apron at the front of the oven (hearth). In that nothing but gravity and a little fireclay mixture holds them in place I was uneasy with it. I think I will be a lot happier knowing they are locked in place with a surrounding layer of concrete. Once again thanks for the vote of confidence.
          Peter

Comment

Les, you asked for a photo. I just posted two with the present state of the insulation. (As of Tuesday afternoon. Sept. 9) They are in the photo section. I finished with the insulfrax this afternoon and I hope to start with the vermiculite tomorrow. Wish me luck.
            Once again I want to thank everyone for their help and support.

Peter
            Last edited by peter; 09-09-2008, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X