Refmix vs Heatstop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refmix vs Heatstop

Are there any differences between refmix and heatstop for use as high temp heat mortars? Is one better than the other? Any other products out there?

Also, can I use the high heat mortar to set the floor of my oven instead of the sand/fireclay mixture? Any other products recommended for setting the floor?

Just in the planning stages. hopefully i'll get a chance to complete the concrete pad, block stand and insulating hearth prior to winter setting in.

Thanks, Rino

Re: Refmix vs Heatstop

Rino,

I started using heatstop but the shipping was crazy expensive so I started rolling my own. It is really nice to work with. I just used refmix on my flue and didn't like it at all. The stuff fired on me really fast. I had to remove it and start over. I wouldn't set my floor in mortar - you just need it to be level.

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 09-12-2008, 11:25 AM.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

As the guys who import Refmix (and someone who has used it a lot), I really like it. It's workable for about 20 minutes, then it sets hard as a rock very quickly. It's the #1 brand of refractory mortar in Italy (sold in over 4,000 locations) and is used for most fireplace and oven installations there.

My two cents. :-)
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Les, how did you find the home brew compared to the HeatStop? Heat Stop is very expensive here, and I am sure I will run out before end of the oven. Is there a concern about differential heat expansion, etc, using different types of mortar in different parts of the oven? It may be less of an issue for your oven, as you used less mortar than others in the joints.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,

It works pretty well. I used the heatstop on my entry and arch - thinking that is was the weak spot. I couldn't really tell you if there is an expansion issue, as I never had the two products touch each other.

Les...

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            I couldn't really tell you if there is an expansion issue, as I never had the two products touch each other.

Les...
            I was concerned more about even using two different products on the dome. Do you think there would be a problem with HeatStop on the bottom half of the dome, and another mortar on the top half?
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

thanks for the replies. i guess it's a preference thing. I just wanted to make sure that either product can be used to construct the dome. There's a place near me that sells Heatstop. a 50# bag for about $72.

i was going to set them in a thin film of mortar similar as to how the instructions specify (similar to setting tile). Anyone see this being a big problem? or should I used sand/fire clay mixture?

great forum and hope to have some pics of my build posted someday

thanks,rino

Comment

One benefit to the sand/fireclay mix is that the bricks may be lifted out and replaced in the future if needed. There may be other benefits, as far as allowing for expansion, but I'll let other, more technically minded builders pipe in!
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Rino,

I'm going with Mike on this - let them float, there is no harm.

Mike, in regard to using the two different products on the dome - I don't see how this could cause a problem - we're just talking about mortar. One may crack easier than the other - but that's all I can see happening.

Les...

Comment

Mike & Les

what you guys are saying makes a lot of sense. I'll let them "float" thanks

Comment

Getting in a little late.

I used both on my oven, ran out of Refmix. Bought Heatstop after a bit of a drive. I prefer Refmix. The main thing I learned with both - is dunk the brick in water or the fire brick sucks all the water out of the mortar very quickly.

They both clean up well after several hours of setting.

Christo
                      Last edited by christo; 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM.
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

I think you only need mortar for your dome and vent. You don't have to mortar your bricks down (unless you want to), and leveling the cooking floor bricks on a bed of sand/fireclay works great and is easy to do.
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                          As the guys who import Refmix (and someone who has used it a lot), I really like it. It's workable for about 20 minutes, then it sets hard as a rock very quickly. It's the #1 brand of refractory mortar in Italy (sold in over 4,000 locations) and is used for most fireplace and oven installations there.

My two cents. :-)
                          James
                          Where can I order the remix I cam't seem to find it in the forno bravo store.

Comment

Where can I order the remix I cam't seem to find it in the forno bravo store.

Comment

Working...
                            X