How far from house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far from house?

Hello another newbie I have been reading this forum for hours its great! I have found many answers to my questions so far. I'm just digging the clay for our oven which has to be finished in 4 weeks for a party There is only one place I can put it which as adjacent to the back wall of my house, there will be a gap of maybe 10 inches, is this going to be okay?

Then the other problem is the chimney, it would have to be 30ft to go above the roof so can you get away with a smaller say 10ft one ? How far away from plastic window frames would the top of the chimney need to be, could it melt them?

Is the heat and smoke worse than a barbeque?

Cheers Great site, off to read some more ..........

Re: How far from house?

Code says 24 inches to combustibles, so there is a problem if the back wall of your house is not masonry. Code also says that your chimney top should be two feet higher than anything within 10 feet. Of course most of us pay no attention to building code, but common sense still applies. The smoke (at start up) and exhaust gases are very hot. The difference between a brick oven and a barbeque is that a brick oven burns a lot more fuel than the hand full of briquettes that go in the Weber.

Four weeks is pushing it, particularly in the short cold days of autumn. Remember that once it's done it needs a week to cure.

Welcome. Keep us posted.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
    X