How much refmix to order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much refmix to order?

I am preparing to start a 42" tuscan style oven. I am ordering a few things ahead because the mason finishing my house stonework will be assisting me and will finish the block stand soon. I have 200 firebricks scheduled for delivery as I have read I will use approx. 180. I am planning on using the refmix from the FB store. How many 22lb bags should I order?
    sigpicMark

Re: How much refmix to order?

Mark,

I don't know the answer to your question. I have not yet finished my build. I think a lot of it will depend. If you use half bricks, and fill all gaps with mortar, as described by the directions, you will end up needing more. If you custom cut bricks at bevels, angles, etc, this will reduce gaps and therefore less mortar. Some builders are putting on a thin render coat of mortar over the entire completed dome, others have omitted this step. All of these variables play a role.

I am finishing the 10th course of my 42 inch Pompeii. I used HeatStop 50, rather than the Refmix. It comes in 50 lb bags. I am about to order my 4th (and hopefully final!) bag.

The stuff is expensive. Unless you are pressed for time, I'd suggest ordering what seems reasonable. As you are running low, you can always get another bag or two sent out to you.

Good luck with your build. Please keep us posted with the progress.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. We just poured the footers for the foundation slab today. I am checking with some local masonry suppliers to see what they have available in the way of refractory mortar. 10+ bags of refmix with shipping starts to get a little expensive. I will begin posting pictures soon. Thanks again.

Mark
      sigpicMark

Comment

Mark,
        How much mortar you use is directly related to how precise your joints are. Following the basic Pompeii plans and using 1/2 bricks leaves a lot of wider gaps and will use considerably more mortar. Also, if you choose to do a final cladding over the entire dome will use considerably more.
        I like several other members (Les, Ken being the most notable), chose the "cut to fit" method. It is a real pain in the butt making all those cuts but I used less than 1 1/2 bags of Heatstop 50 (50 lb bags) including a 1/4" - 3/8" coat over the entire dome (36" oven).

RT

Comment

Mark,

Be careful about some of the advice you might get. Around here, all of the local brick stores tried to convince me to buy the type of heatstop that comes premixed in a pail. "That's all anyone uses", etc.

After quick research, this is not the stuff to use. I'd stick with the recommendations of this forum, which seem to be either Heatstop 50 (this comes dry, in 50 lb bags), Refmix, or mix your own based on the recipe in the Pompeii plans.

Good Luck.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,
            Thanks for the insight. That is exactly the conversation I had with the local supplier yesterday. I got on the internet and phone and located reasonably priced Heatstop 50 about 90 miles from here. I am going to pick up next week.

Mark
            sigpicMark

Comment

Working...
            X