Cooking surface pitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking surface pitch?

Hi I live in south florida and we get a tremendous amount of rain here. I'm concerned that water may flow and collect in the oven and was wondering if anybody pitched the floor of their oven outward? I rememer my wife driving me nuts leveling the oven in our house because her cakes were uneven. Should I be concerned about this?

Larry

Re: Cooking surface pitch?

Larry - interesting subject. I would think that a 2% grade would not affect cooking at all. The problem I see is that our floors are made of individual bricks, the water will just flow into the cracks. My approach is to simply keep it from getting in. The flue cover I built performed very well the last two rains we had. I was thinking of making a simple plate that would direct the water that enters (from the flue or the entry), to the out side of the oven.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

You never know when you might want to cook a pumpkin pie. I'd keep it as level as possible, and put a door in it when you're not using it.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I guess sealing it up would be the best idea. Les your cover came out very nice. It appears to be made of stainless steal. I could probably make a sealing door out of plywood with a surgical tubing seal around it too. Hey you guessed it I do have a weakness for pumpkin pie! I had pumpkin cake for the first time this past weekend. It tasted like a combination of pumpkin pie and coffee cake. Luckily my hiking buddy was nice enough to email me the recipe. Thanks for the input guys.
        Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larrya1049 View Post
          I had pumpkin cake for the first time
          Larry, For my birthday my wife set me up in a beer of the month club. It's a bunch of micro breweries around the country. I just had my first pumpkin ale. AWESOME. It's brewed by a company called Saranac. I am sure it would compliment anything pumpkin; cake, pie, seeds, etc.

PS. It was stainless steel.

Les...
          Last edited by Les; 11-06-2008, 09:33 PM.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My oven slopes forward a few degrees so the rain can run off without ever entering the oven opening.

Comment

Why would you need to bother- I'd heard it never rains in Melb. anymore !
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

@Les, my daughter brought me 3 different pumpkin ales last week, and two of them were great I am going to reward her by makeing a new pumpkin doughnut recipe I just got! Whoohoo

Travis
                TravisNTexas

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  Why would you need to bother- I'd heard it never rains in Melb. anymore !
                  Ahem....it's raining here right now!

Comment

Working...
                  X