Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven outside accessible though wall?

Hi-

Does the idea of building an oven outside the kitchen and having the opening framed into the house make any sense?. It seems like it might be a nice way to get more use out of the oven and save money on chimneys, etc.

Thanks,

HW

Re: Oven outside accessible though wall?

Yes, it makes a lot of sense, but not as a cost savings. The moment you incorporate the oven into the house you need to build to code, have full footings like a masonry fireplace, and have a chimney go up through the roof, two feet higher than anything within 10 feet. This is an order of magnitude more difficult than a freestanding oven on a slab with a four foot chimney. You need a damper on your chimney to keep the heat in the house. There are a lot of considerations, not least of which is dealing with the building inspector.

A brick oven puts out a ton of radiant heat which is sometimes welcome and sometimes not. I've sometimes thought that such an arrangement, with the dome on a super-heavy-duty lazy susan, and an inside and an outside opening, two landings, connected with a Y shaped vent, would give you an oven that would give you a toasty kitchen in the winter and a patio oven in the summer, would be a great thing. If nothing else, the look on your code inspector's face when you proposed it would be, as they say, priceless.

Welcome to the forum, btw. Pay no attention to my mad ramblings.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      I've sometimes thought that such an arrangement, with the dome on a super-heavy-duty lazy susan, and an inside and an outside opening, two landings, connected with a Y shaped vent
      David -WAY outside the box. Very clever! That would be fantastic if it were to be done. What if the unit had dual entries? If you could build a very well insulated door to cap off the unused entry, it shouldn't affect the operation very much. (James - we just handed you a new product to develop. )

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I like it. You have a normal door for daily use on the inside or outside depending on season, and a heavily insulated door that is left in place most of the time, and only occassionally moved from the inside to the outside. I would venture you could actually build such a door similar to the oven construction itself, with firebrick on the inside and insulation, since it would not have to be very convienient to move.

Does not have the charm of the lasy Susan though

Travis
        TravisNTexas

Comment

Working...
        X