Why do so many restrauants cook at low temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do so many restrauants cook at low temp

Greetings; On my path of study I decided to visit as many restrauants with WFOs. I was amazed to find that most run the oven well below 700 degrees. And the lower the temp the worse the pizza was (big surprise). But my newbie question is WHY do they run the oven at lower temps? My guess is that at lower temps it takes longer to cook and any idiot can do it without the risk of burning the pizza? Kindly advise...tim

Re: Why do so many restrauants cook at low temp

Maybe the ovens don't go any higher? Or they have lower temps so that other foods can be cooked in the same oven - lasagne for instance. But your explanation sounds just as likely...
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Or maybe they want you to buy more drinks whilst you're waiting.
      If you are half tanked when you finally get it/them, then maybe you won't taste the poor pizzas!
      They could also be saving wood?
      Their insurance company could have a say if they use high temperatures? OR
      they simply don't know the difference!

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Most of the "brick oven" places around here have gas fired ovens, that at the most burn a little wood for decoration. And yes, lower temperature = lower skill needed for workers.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Tim
          I think dmun hit the nail right on the head with "lower temperature = lower skill"...being one who is giong into such a business with my wife...staff training will be a huge issue...teaching them to toss a good base is one thing but...to teach them to manage such pizzas in an environment as potentially unforgiving an environment as a 800F oven is another...if you turn your head too long it is toast!!!
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Greetings; Many thanks for all the interesting and kind thoughts. I had one user contact me privately and tell me that the 'real' reason is that the restrauants are 'cheaping' out. That is to say, they run the oven cooler because of the cost of wood. Less wood = less cost. And finally, (I could not resist). It appears there are a number of 'half-baked" reasons to run the oven on the cool side.

tim

Comment

I think the answer might be in the fuel consumption. At the higher pizza temps we use the oven burns wood up pretty fast and the maintenance of the high temp, for a restaurant which is open for hours, would be considerable.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

It may also be the local market. We had a coal fired pizza place open a few months ago that started with 700+ temps and made pizzas very much like some famous NYC joints. When the local press reviewed the place after a couple months, the owner was reported as having lowered his temps as too many customers were sending back the slightly charred pies as "burned". The problem was compounded by the fact that he was doing thin crust pies rather than the fat boys that are more popular here in upstate NY. hopefully they will return to the original plan and let the customers catch up though that is a tough play for a new place.

Comment

Originally posted by bernerdog View Post
                  When the local press reviewed the place after a couple months, the owner was reported as having lowered his temps as too many customers were sending back the slightly charred pies as "burned"
                  Boy, what I wouldn't give to get a "burned" pie at a commercial place around here. Seem like EVERYTHING served up this way is very un-appetizingly undercooked.

We were actually thinking of ordering one "well-done" next time we eat pizza out.

Comment

As I tell my young boys (6,4 and 2). Our WF pizzas are never burnt just "over carmalized" for those times when I get slightly distracted while tending the oven.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post
                      As I tell my young boys (6,4 and 2). Our WF pizzas are never burnt just "over carmalized" for those times when I get slightly distracted while tending the oven.

Dick
                      Remember also that the "added" Carbon settles the stomach and removes impurities

Phill

Comment

Working...
                      X