Oven floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven floor?

Are kiln shelves good for the oven floor. Just trying to get bigger pieces to have less chances for an uneven floor.

Re: Oven floor?

Kiln shelves, the plain ones, are the right material, but they are too thin to be an effective floor. Also, they are extremely expensive compared to the US prices for firebrick.

If your underlayment insulation is flat, your brick floor will be as flat as it needs to be. The best way to insure that is to use insulation boards, which are factory flat.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks I never tought of that

Comment

If you use the fireclay and sand mixture with the firebricks you can get it really flat, and if necessary belt sand any high edges. I was worried about the flatness like you but it turned out fine.

Mark

Comment

Also try and use the herringbone pattern. This helps the peel avoid the straight on edges. It's really not any harder than laying the bricks side by side.

Dick

Comment

I believe that if you use the fireclay/sand mixture under your floor you can also "tamp" any offending firebrick edges level before resorting to the belt sander.
            (like with a trowel/hammer handle or rubber hammer)
            Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Working...
            X