Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas burners for a Pompeii

Me again!

During the winter we have no burn days for wood. Does anyone have a gas burner design to accommodate? I realize that this would be a challenge at best.

CW
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Re: Gas burners for a Pompeii

I actually just looked extensively into this with Maricopa county.

First, the county officially considers our ovens an exotic type of barbecue grill, and thus doesn't require a special Miscellaneous Permit. It took me a lot of legwork with the permit office to figure that one out.

Second, the Residential Woodburning Restriction Ordinance P-26 is the governing regulation, and it specifically exempts "barbecue devices and mesquite grills."

Third, I was still kind of worried because the other language on the Maricopa county air quality control website is so absolute, and doesn't indicate that there are any exceptions, so I called the hotline and talked with an enforcement officer. He said that we were completely fine to build a cooking fire in our backyard, even on no burn days. And that even if it weren't allowed, they don't have much enforcement capability, and they're only really trying to keep people from burning trash and other nasty, smoky stuff. Purely recreational fires, like those in firepits are still banned, but as long as you're cooking, you're fine. Well-seasoned wood, which will hardly smoke at all once the fire is going, is always required.

As far as I can tell, there's no reason to mess with gas.
    Nikki

Comment

You are correct on the review! I also chatted with the folks down there as I deal with them all of the time - just wanted to keep the perception correct. I am still thinking about it just to be proper, though I am carbon neutral as long as I burn wood (LOL) and do not burn the Za!

CW
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Yep, I fully intend to observe no-burn days as often as possible, even though in the WFO it's permitted as an exception, just to be considerate and conscientious. But it's nice to know that I'm not in the wrong if I happen to have a party planned and people expecting pizza!

It's great to get the confirmation from your conversation with them as well. Now I feel like it's really official policy instead of one guy who was just feeling lenient. ;-)
        Last edited by Modthyrth; 01-02-2009, 01:18 PM.
        Nikki

Comment

Working...
        X