fire brick and height question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire brick and height question.

buono sera!! i'm new here in the forum and wanna to first say hello. i'm here hopin' to steal some knowledge from all you veterans. two questions if you don't mind. (i'm sure you've heard these plenty,but)

1. Roughly how many firebricks am i lookin at to do the dome on a 36 inch oven? i will be cutting them in half....

2. What should the inside height be on the 36 incher? with an opening of around 17" wide x 10 high.... or is that to big?

thanks for any help here i really appreciate it ! -Leo

Re: fire brick and height question.

Originally posted by interguglielmi View Post
    buono sera!! i'm new here in the forum and wanna to first say hello. i'm here hopin' to steal some knowledge from all you veterans. two questions if you don't mind. (i'm sure you've heard these plenty,but)

1. Roughly how many firebricks am i lookin at to do the dome on a 36 inch oven? i will be cutting them in half....

2. What should the inside height be on the 36 incher? with an opening of around 17" wide x 10 high.... or is that to big?

thanks for any help here i really appreciate it ! -Leo
    Leo
    I would suggest you visit the FornoBravo store and download the Pompeii oven instructions and many of the questions you have will be answered...including many you have not thought of yet...you can get it from the store 2 ways...one is to make a donation to Habitat for Humanity of $10 or you can chose to get it free...you have to register in the store(separate from the forum)to do so and it is an almost immediate delivery
    To answer your questions though...I think you will need roughly 180 firebricks for a 36 inch and a good interior dome height would be about 18 inches...then the door height should be 12-12.5 inches...if you have the room build a 42"...it will not cost you much more... but it is tough to stretch the oven later if you need it a bit bigger
    All the best!
    Dutch
    P.S. I am only about 6 hours by car from NO
    Last edited by Dutchoven; 01-07-2009, 06:18 AM. Reason: extra thought
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Hey cool Dutch! Thanks alot bro! Yeah I may go a little bigger on the oven but 36 should do 2 pizzas at a time huh. Oh so were you at exactly? Also man I love the CHARLES MINGUS QUOTE. we one of my favorite jazz composers.
      Last edited by interguglielmi; 01-07-2009, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by interguglielmi View Post
        Hey cool Dutch! Thanks alot bro! Yeah I may go a little bigger on the oven but 36 should do 2 pizzas at a time huh. Oh so were you at exactly? Also man I love the CHARLES MINGUS QUOTE. we one of my favorite jazz composers.
        I am in North Mississippi...about an hour south of memphis..quite literally one mile off of interstate 55...the 36 should do 2 at a time without much issue and if you hold your tongue right you could get three...but once you start into this WFO thing you will be surprised how many other things you will want to cook and ...you might just find yourself wishing for a little extra space...maybe at Thanksgiving or Christmas...my Dad is a musician...well sort of retired...he played every type of music imaginable and he loved Mingus...he actually was good friends with a guy you might recognize also...George Winslow...jazz pianist and arranger...played with a lot of the big boys like Sammy Kaye etc...
        All the best!
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

36 should do 2 pizzas at a time huh.
          Remember: a WFO at full flame will cook a pizza in ninety seconds. Two at a time means you're stretching and dressing a pizza every 45 seconds. I'm good but I'm not that good. I cook multiple pita breads at the same time, but they're smaller, easier, and faster to do.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thank you bro !!!

Comment

well Dutch let me first say thanks! and also thats cool to hear about ya pops ! my uncle, Emile Guess, BLESS HIS SOUL ! was a well known self-taught jazz, rock/funk and blues guitarist. born and raised in New Orleans. he played with Dr. John for many years, along with the funky meters, the pat murphy band, paper steam boat, corvettes, lime, wolf river band and many more. he taught me so much growing up, his favorite jazz artist was Cannonball adderley. but as far as charles mingus, he will always be a favorite of mine. But any way friend thanks for the help. and by the way i got the plans from forno bravo. i cant wait to get dirty !!!! lol ! peace bra ! -Lee

Comment

Lee,
                If bricks are easy to come by and close (no driving), start with 250. I'm a little fuzzy on my numbers, but I believe I used 250 bricks for my 37 inch dome.
                G.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                X