oven opening: arch vs straight sides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven opening: arch vs straight sides?

After a couple of years of dreaming and procrastinating, I've finally started my oven project. I have the floor and first two chains of bricks laid, and am using tapered bricks for the dome.

I have a couple of questions about the oven opening design. My brick supplier has tapered bricks of different sizes, and helped me piece together an arch for my the opening. My oven is 44" internal diameter, and will have a 20" wide opening, with a height in the middle of 12" (using specs I've seen on the forum and in the FB PDF). Most of the pictures I've seen of other people's ovens show straight sides for the opening with a gradual arch on the top. But with my tapered bricks, I'll get a pretty even arch starting from the 2nd row of bricks. My question is does anyone see a problem with a full arch for the opening? I don't think I'll have any problem getting a peel and pizzas in and out, given the 20 inches that go from floor height to about 5 inches up, and I imagine I can get a turkey in through the center at 12". But should I go for a more traditional opening design? Any reason why most have straight sides for the first 5 or 6 bricks?

Thanks! I'll post pictures soon.
    my work in progress:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=1031

Re: oven opening: arch vs straight sides?

You can still have a straight side using the taper bricks, stack them "taper to the left" then "taper to the right" this will form a vertical side.

Comment

Thanks. I'm not so worried about how to make a verical side... i've got plenty of rectangular fire bricks on hand (will also be making a bbq pit when i'm finished with the oven). the question was more whether there was any functional reason why most people use vertical sides rather than a half circle for the opening.

I've gone ahead and started to mortar the arch. I think it'll be OK. Thanks again!
      my work in progress:

Comment

Originally posted by carloswlkr View Post
        why most people use vertical sides rather than a half circle for the opening.
        Carlos,
        That's a great question. In my opinion, you have more room for your tools. You are going for a 44 inch oven, I think you will appreciate all the left to right movement you can get.

Also, to go on record. I am jealous as hell - you are in Costa Rica, and I am not.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

yeah, it's a tough life, but hey, someone's got to live here, right? ;-) and we're in the middle of summer here! got to take advantage of the few months of low rain to get the oven finished.
          my work in progress:

Comment

Originally posted by carloswlkr View Post
            middle of summer here
            Never thought of that, you being on the equator (pretty much). It does make sense though. Every place gets a change - the butterfly sneezes thing...

Question... Why San Jose and not the Coast (either side).

Still very jealous....

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

i'd love to live on the coast, but my job / office is here in the city. not a bad place, though.
              my work in progress:

Comment

Disclaimer: If I knew what I was doing I'd already have an oven...

I suspect the reason is the height/length ratio. To gain length (also called width - confusing in 3d) in a true arch you have to increase the height of the door opening which will eventually cost you in heat retention. The efficient ratio is probably fairly small. With vertical sides the length (width) is obtained without increasing the height of the door opening.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

I prefer the look of the arch bricks all the way round, which is how i've done mine.

It should also be stronger than the straight sided ones, but this isn't an issue for the oven entry, as it's braced against the dome anyway. Where people have gone with straight sides on the outer arch, they have had to sometimes add extra bracing (flying butress!) to make it stronger.

Comment

I made a full arch but basically just sat it on a couple of extra bricks to get the height i wanted! Seems to work pretty well.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post45635
                    My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
                    My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                      Disclaimer: If I knew what I was doing I'd already have an oven...

I suspect the reason is the height/length ratio. To gain length (also called width - confusing in 3d) in a true arch you have to increase the height of the door opening which will eventually cost you in heat retention. The efficient ratio is probably fairly small. With vertical sides the length (width) is obtained without increasing the height of the door opening.
                      I must have missed something, I understood that the important ratio for the oven to draw well was the height entrance door to the interior height of the dome. I don't recall anything about height of entrance door to the width of the entrance door. I have an arched entrance and find that it works well and is pleasing to my eye. I can see where one could perhaps have an entrance that was so wide that there would be significant loss of heat and so make it hard to get and keep desired temperatures, but I am unaware of any "sweet spot" in the ratio of width of door to height of door. Did I miss something?

Wiley

Comment

Probably not - I can't remember now what I was thinking other than you can end up with a large opening volume whereby heat will escape if you keep widening the arch to gain height.

Nevermind... brain cramp...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

Hi Carlos - I had a follow-up question to the one I posted in your oven building thread, but I thought it made more sense to post it here (rather than hijacking your build thread).

I wanted to ask about the height/width ratio of your entry arch. Since it appears to be a true half circle, is the height roughly equal to the width? In your posting above, you mentioned that you were aiming to have the dimensions roughly equal to what the FB plans call for (20" wide, 12.5" high); is that approximately where you ended up now that you've built it?

It seems like it would be easier to get more height out of the arch, if needed, by simply putting standard square bricks at the bottom to raise it up, but getting more width in a round arch seems like it would be difficult (since, presumably, it would weaken the center of the arch to add a brick for width).

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks again!

S

Comment

Stephen,
                            I did exactly as you suspect. I added a bit of height to my arches by laying one standard brick on its side to start each course. I used a 10" radius to draw the circle, which gave me 20" of width, and would have given only 10" of height. I raised it up 2 1/2" with the addition of the rectangular fire brick, so my final internal height is now 12 1/2" and the width is still 20". The outer arch is 23" wide, if I recall correctly, using an 11 1/2" radius to draw my arch, with a top height in the center of 14".

Good luck!
                            my work in progress:

Comment

Seems obvious in hindsight, I guess I just needed to talk it through. I remember far too little of rudimentary geometry. : )

Comment

Working...
                              X