Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello all. Need help deciding Which oven to buy/use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all. Need help deciding Which oven to buy/use?

Hello all, I am a newcomer in search of the perfect oven.

It doesnt matter which kind or type of oven it is-- as long as it fits these parameters:

~Its relatively inexpensive, preferably no more than 3500

~ If it must be made/constructed, preferably not something TOO crazily difficult to build and something relatively easy to use.

~ Its perfect at baking/making the perfect pizzas and Bread along with Pastry.

~Can hold extremely high temperature (i.e. up to 800- 1000)

~ The ability to smoke meats for a long time and do other functions would DEFINITELY be a PLUS in my book

~ Size adequate for four people

I would assume since that I am looking for high temps-- the ovens would need to be made for outside use.

If you all could help me that would be GREAT!

Thanks a bunch guys.

Re: Hello all. Need help deciding Which oven to buy/use?

Hello Achilles007,

Many of us on this forum have used the plan set available free from Forno Bravo as a guide to build our own ovens. The design is called the Pompeii Oven. I believe this home built option would meet all of your objectives.

Originally posted by achilles007 View Post

~Its relatively inexpensive, preferably no more than 3500
    There are threads on this forum that will lead to the full detail on costs, but it is common for a home builder to complete an oven for less than $2,000 USD
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/h...your-2869.html

~ If it must be made/constructed, preferably not something TOO crazily difficult to build and something relatively easy to use.
    Most of the ovens that are showcased on this form were built by complete rookies. Look through the photo gallery. PhotoPlog - Photo Gallery

~ Its perfect at baking/making the perfect pizzas and Bread along with Pastry.
    This is the primary objective of this oven design - baking great; A) pizza; B) baked goodies; C) I don't recall folks on this forum talking about pastries... can't imagine why the Pompeii wouldn't work fine. I know I have liked all of the slow cooked meals I've tried in this oven.

~Can hold extremely high temperature (i.e. up to 800- 1000)
    The Pompeii will hold these temperatures - if you can manage the fire....

~ The ability to smoke meats for a long time and do other functions would DEFINITELY be a PLUS in my book
    The only time I tried to use the Pompeii as a smoker, the complaint was that it was 'over smoked'. Some of the guys on this forum have lots of experience with this oven used as a smoker and say it works fine. If I remember correctly, the real experienced guys will still prefer the 'treager', I think it is easier to use, but I know you can put a slow fire in the Pompeii, and it will cook and smoke what ever is in the oven..

~ Size adequate for four people
    We put in the 36 inch Pompeii and host parties of 20 people easily.

I haven't looked at the cost of installing a factory built oven. I wouldn't be surprised to learn you could install an 'off the shelf' model for less than your budget. But if you can talk yourself into the challenge of building an oven, for me that was a bunch of the fun, building the oven.

If you need to hire the work of installing the masonry, I believe you will bust the budget, but if you can do the work, under budget is easy!

Hope this rambling helps

JED

Comment

Working...
    X