pompeii oven in toronto, ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pompeii oven in toronto, ontario

hello and congrads to all of your work !! i am planning to build one here in toronto, is there anyone that has build one here yet and if they did, how are they working. this is an exellent forum, compliments to all. (any word of incourragment will help!)

Re: pompeii oven in toronto, ontario

welcome Marco!

I've seen several Canadian ovens and some from northern us, too.

Download the plans and then make them your own!

Glad to have you here!

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

Hello Marco, and welcome to this Forum. I visited Toronto once and really loved your city. I can remember when I first found this web-forum and I guess 8 months later, I've started my oven. I'm sure you'll here from locals soon enough and literally, the rest of the world too.
      Cheers, Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Marco,

I'm located in Prince Albert, a small village just south of Port Perry, Ontario, and about 70 kms northeast of downtown TO. Send me an email if you want to discuss oven building, materials, etc. Have a look at my website: :: Mary G's Artisan Breads :: Traditional wood-fired brick-oven breads made to uncompromising gourmet standards to see what we're up to here.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thank you Jim, it's good to know that there is a lot of info and help from all the oven builders, especially from ontario,
          it would be very nice to have some info on materials avaiable to me, i am looking at the 42" oven.thanks and keep up the good work, Marco.
          Last edited by marco; 01-27-2009, 08:42 AM. Reason: email disclosure

Comment

Marco,

Its probably better to go in and edit out your email and send it to Jim in a private message - Those spam bots and less scrupulous folks love to find an email out in the open they can start selling things to....

Good luck with the build!

Christo
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

ooops!! i totally forgot about that.... thank you
              !

Comment

Marco since you are in Toronto you got me interested in the pompeii pizza oven. Hopefully we can build these and make pizzas like how we did it back in Italy.

Hello to everyone

Comment

Marco:

If you have a rough timeline as to when you are looking at building, I'd love to be able to come down to the centre of the universe and lend a hand. Last year I built a couple of rough mud/one day brick ovens just to get the feel for building but am planning to build a pompeii starting in April.

Comment

Welcome Marco & Salvatore!
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

Hi I just finished mine last fall. Live in Richmond Hill. Funny how oven fever is in the air. When I was building mine I went to a local shop for supplies and overheard 2 italian men talking and so I asked them what they were building. Here they too were building an outdoor oven with a and bbq combo.

So I told them I was as well and we exchanged more conversation followed by my visiting their build and theirs mine. Turns out the one doing all the mason work lives directly next door to the home my parents own. What a small world.

He was doing it the old fashion way with a concrete slab, firebrick hearth and then a conrecete clad. I told him about all the advances and the insulation concept. So he took my advice and at least put on some vermicrete. He had already built the dome so it was too late to do anything below.

Regards.
                      Check out my build at:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...uild-4678.html

Comment

I too live in the GTA (Concord, just north of Toronto), and am definitely planning on building a wood fired oven - most likely a Pompeii..
                        I've just started looking and was very lucky to find this forum this early in my research...

Great stuff, thank you.
                        (and I also found the Mary G's site - Jim) and if I lose my nerve to start this on my own - may end up calling you, or at least driving out to see your setup.
                        I'm only looking to build for home and entertaining friends, but want to be able to bake pizza AND bread.
                        From what I'm reading the Pompeii should fit the bill beautifully.
                        Right now - I'm trying to find photos and drawings to help me design my setup - I am thinking I would probably like a wood fired barbecue alongside the oven...
                        Hopefully I can be baking before the summer's over....

Comment

I was in Dufferin Grove Park last week (opposite Dufferin Mall) and noticed that their community oven firings will start up again in early May. Might be a good idea to show up there and talk to some of the regulars.

Friends of Dufferin Grove Park | (Bake Ovens & Food) Overview - Composite Overview
                          Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Alfredo, thank you very much for the info... I am familiar with the park, but never knew there was an oven there...
                            I most definitely will be making a trip down there..
                            Mille grazie...

Comment

Majic,

Just click on my user name and then send me an email. You're definitely welcome here (Prince Albert/Port Perry area) to have a look at my oven, and we can talk over your build.

Jim
                              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
                              X