X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close to building can an oven be?

Hey all-

Great site. full of information.

I am planning on building an oven in my back yard and have a pre-existing foundation already constructed that I wanted to use. The issue is the foundations proximity to my neighbors exterior wall. The foundation is 52" X 58" and I was looking at the 42" oven. That would make my back wall under a foot away from a stucco wall. Is this too close? Any advice?

thanks,
    hammer

Close

Hammer,

It is very close. However, if you insulate, insulate, insulate (and your neighbour knows it, you should be fine. It might be overkill, but I'd also add a wall of fire-retardant cement board between the insulation and the stucco wall.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I too built my oven within a foot from an existing fence and went the cement board/stucco route. Because it was so close to the fence, however, I had to buy a close-quarters drill to attach the boards to the steel studs. Applying the stucco and paint on the back side was also a bit difficult because of the lack of room to manuever.

Comment

Hear the thunder of the Hammer.

Thanks for the advice. The location has now been moved 4 feet to the right and no longer applies. Now a counter top will be located next to the wall and the oven will be in the clear.

ya'll are a great forum...

Comment

i too put a counter next to the wall and now regret it (but just a little because the counter also hides and muffles the a/c unit). the problem is that it makes it difficult to hose down and generally keep clean the area around the oven. just food for thought ...
          my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
          www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

Working...
          X