Indoor ovens in the Southeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor ovens in the Southeast

I live in the hot and muggy Southeast. I am interested in an indoor installation of a brick oven in my kitchen. However, heating up the kitchen in mild or hot weather is a major concern. Before I make the move to purchase a brick oven,I want to be able to assure my wife that it will not be uncomfortable in the kitchen. Our climate is actually very close to southern Italy's, and many Italians think of our town as reminding them of Italy. Is there anyone with an indoor installation in a hot climate that can share their experience with the amount of heat escaping from their brick oven?

Re: Indoor ovens in the Southeast

A well insulated oven mostly throws off heat from radiant heating, not from the masonry mass heating up the room. I think an exterior draft door, made without glass, will keep most of the heat confined in the chamber, as well as help with the bit of smoke, on startup, that can be a problem indoors. James had in indoor oven in California, but I don't know how hot an area he was in.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thank you. Are you suggesting a second door on the room side of the vent? Or are you suggesting I use just one door which is placed at that spot, instead of being placed at the oven itself?

Comment

Yes, an exterior door (on the outside of the enclosure), with adjustable air vents at the bottom, will help your fire start faster, and deflect radiant heat. You'll also need an inner door if you plan to do retained heat baking.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
        X