Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello again all - size and mortar question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello again all - size and mortar question?

hello again, i have two questions if you ladies and gents don't mind? first, im starting on the dome tomorrow. my oven is 39 inches.. well, any idea what the opening should be? i was going with 19" long and 12" high.

and secondly, should i mix the Calcium Aluminate fire clay mortar? OR The portland cement fireclay mortar.....? i wasnt sure. i want it to last but i read that Calcium aluminate is not easy to work with ??? any help would be much appreciated !!! - Leo

Re: hello again all - size and mortar question?

My understanding is that the calcium aluminate mortar is quite difficult to master using. The portland/lime/fireclay and sand mixture is easy to work with- I used it and heatstop both. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

ok thanks so i found this - what do you think?

10 : 6 : 2 : 3 – Sand, Fire Clay, Portland cement, and Lime.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the ratio is in the FB plans. 1-3-1-1, the three being of sand and one of everything else. That's what I used and that's what I'd stick to.
        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
          I'm pretty sure the ratio is in the FB plans. 1-3-1-1, the three being of sand and one of everything else. That's what I used and that's what I'd stick to.
          Just had a look and that is defiantly what the FB plans say to use

Sorry but can't help with the opening size
          Real men cook with fire
          My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Your dome height should be 24.5 inches high if you are building the more round/spherical version (non-neopolitan). That number is based on 63 percent of your oven size (39"). A little bit higher or lower won't be a huge issue.

I can't remember the dimensions for the width. I remember that most of the discussion on width talks about having enough room to get larger pizzas/food (turkey?)/tools in and out without being restricted by the entryway walls. I used 20 inches for my width on my 37 inch dome. That works fine for me. I suggest you re-read the plans and decide for yourself.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
            X