Total Oven/Structure Height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Oven/Structure Height?

I was planning on building a WFO in the corner of my yard but that pesky HOA problem might change those plans. They want all structures to be 10ft from the rear fence line and 5ft from the side fence line. I am going to ask today if exceptions are ever made and possibly try and pitch that I could do all but chimney under the fence line (approximately 6ft) and that the chimney would be approximately 5ft from each fence line.

How tall are your ovens?

Re: Total Oven/Structure Height?

Just talk to your neighbour and convince him that his pizza will taste a lot better from your oven. With the neighbours on your side I would think that an exception would be easier to obtain?

karl

Comment

try getting them to think of it as a barbecue. This might get past a little easier
      Also just add one link of chimney and if you need more add it at a later date.
      sigpic

Comment

I think you should be able to keep the structure under 6 feet easily. Keep the stand on the lowish side, use insulating boards rather than vermcrete under the floor and you'll be good.

Mine's a bit higher than that, but only because I forgot to add the thicknes of the insulation to the hearth hight while building it...
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

This oven is 81" to the top of the dome.

I was building with no height restrictions, and could easily get the number down to 72" by lowering the stand, using the panels of insulation under the hearth (instead of the perlite - crete), and by adding a little bit if fill dirt around the sides and back of the structure.

There is a pretty complete collection of photo's of this oven build in the photo gallery that can show the details of how this unit was put together.

JED

Comment

Either way, you are going about it the right way. If you built it and the HOA made you tear it down or move it...it would be very sad.

Mine is 8' high at the chimney but 6 ft everywhere else...

Drake
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thank you for the reply's! I tried to talk to them today but apparently they are not there on the weekend. I'll find out more tomorrow and hopefully will get to build my oven.

Comment

I have an HOA and they approved mine. It had to be 5 feet from the fence and that was a challenge. I used a drawing by a professional so show how nice it was going to look...you are welcome to use them. Even if they are not exactly what you are going to do...I am sure they are not going to come critique your implementation of the design after the build...

Also note that I billed mine as an outdoor fireplace / oven...

Drake
                Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 03-22-2009, 06:57 PM.
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Yeah, just pitch it in terms of the increased property value, overall benefit to the neighborhood, and the HOA should be pretty easy to win over. The one professional quote I got for building a pizza oven (out of curiosity) said that just the structural work (no veneer or even stucco to finish) would cost between 12k (for a prefab oven) and 17k (for a brick oven). Feel free to use those data points in your proposal. A pizza oven adds serious equity, and they're only becoming more popular in this country.

Mine looks to be almost 9 feet exactly from the dirt to the top of the chimney.
                  Nikki

Comment

Working...
                  X