Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Pizza ovens, mould problem after 1st use

Hello all,

I am new to Pizza ovens and we bought one on a trolly from a guy in Western Australia. We did that so we could move it around, or so we thought until we got it and realised how heavy it was and how difficult it was to move around.

On the first use of it we made some pizza but I didn't have the oven temperature hot enough. A bit of cheese was spilt on the oven floor that I didn't realise. When I looked in a couple of days later I found a nice bit of mould growing on the bottom of the oven. I scrapped it away, cleaned it with a bit of vinegar (not wanting to use anything toxic) and went away for a couple of weeks. On returning home I find that the mould has grown back and with avengence.

Can anybody help me on how to get rid of this mould? The floor of the oven is bricks resting on what looks like fibrous cement (or something like it I am not a builder or a person who is a handyman, that's why I bought a ready made oven!!!!) so I don't want to flood the floor of the oven with fluid of any kind.

I did a Google search on the problem and didn't come up with anything much just some one who had a pizza stone with mould on it and the solution was to soak it in bleach. One site I looked at basically said anything can be cleaned off the floor by burning it off. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

Re: New to Pizza ovens, mould problem after 1st use

I say fire it up again...nothing can survive pizza oven temps...
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Yep, that's a self cleaning oven you've got there. Go with the scary big fire and no mold can survive. Once the oven burns white (and you may have some moisture in there if it's wet enough to grow mold) the problem shouldn't reoccur.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I totally concur with Drake and David. As you start to get some coals - pull them forward into the entry and cover the floor. NOTHING cleans as good as fire.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
        X