Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Firebrick ??

Hello All,
    Would it be usefull to put a double firebrick hearth under the dome, OR would that take away to much heat from the oven and not act as an insulator like the vermiculite does. ???

Mark
    TOGNJ

Re: Double Firebrick ??

Firebrick is not an insulator. If pizza is your goal, one layer of flat firebrick is what you want, with insulation underneath.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Fire brick will add mass to the oven and create a heat sink, This is good for breads and baking but takes longer to reach pizza temps. I doubled the floor and added an extra layer of fire mortar over the dome to create this very effect. I can't say that it take longer (but it must)to heat because I have nothing to compare it to but....it work great. The real key I believe is to insulate heavily. Insulation is more important than mass. I like doing long slow roasting say ribs or roasts.
      sigpic

Comment

For the record, I have a single layer of firebrick on the floor and a little extra refractory mass (1") in the dome. I can bake 25lbs of bread in one firing (or more, but I have never had more to bake). My temps are still 300 degrees the next day. So unless you are a commercial baker, the regular plans will work for you. Insulate everywhere!
        Drake
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

It is a trade off between fast heating and sustaining the heat.

As noted by DrakeRemoray, the typical one layer design will also work well with bread baking.

Comment

Working...
          X