Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have my pizza and eat it too?

Hi all,

I came to this site because I was interested in the feasibility of turning my Weber? into an outdoor pizza oven. Please hear me out! I'm not crazy (at least I don't think I am!)

I've made grilled pizza on many occasions (with a pizza stone) and had encouraging results (however, with the Weber dome down all the way the pizzas always came out too smoky!) and that experience got me thinking of an outdoor wood burning pizza oven. The only problem is that they are not very portable and have to be a permanent fixture of the backyard. So my thoughts went back to the Weber. I started wondering if the "dome" of my Weber could be cut to give a reasonable pizza oven "like" experience.

I realize the Weber "dome" does not have the same thermal properties as a brick oven but any way to improve that without adding too much weight? (So the loads don't exceed the capacity of the Weber's somewhat flimsy legs) What about a ceramic blanket over the dome? A friend recently gave me his Weber so I have some more material and could make an inner and outer dome if need be-with some kind of insulating material in between. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Can I have my pizza and eat it too?

Hey Wacky Racer,

You might get your questions answered by reading through these two links.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...oven-6142.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...oven-4602.html

These guys made ovens that are portable and make good food.

I don't have much in the way of opinion on the Weber idea. Many folks report good results, like you, with using a pizza stone in the BBQ. Maye a switch to propane will cut the smoky flavor?

Good luck with your project, and keep us posted with what ever you end up doing. Maybe we can learn from you work... pictures are good.

JED

Comment

Little Black Egg or LBE.

Comment

I think PizzaPolice might be referring to the "Big Green Egg" Big Green Egg, World's Best Smoker and Grill

Like PizzaPolice, the "egg" is the first thing that popped into my head after reading Wacky's idea. If you've never seen an "Egg" they have a heavy ceramic dome lid. Looks like a Weber lid, but a LOT heavier.

It might do exactly what you want with pizza. This guy's BGE pizza looks pretty good to me: Pizza Hints and Tips -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

Here's another BGE Pizza: John Wilkin?s blog My first Big Green Egg Pizza

A lot of folks swear by the BGE but they are pricey. I think I can outsmoke anyone with my low budget Weber Smokey Mountain .
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
        X