Firebrick questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebrick questions

I've acquired some free firebricks but don't know if they are of the right variety. As the story goes they came from an older Saint Louis Steel company oven. They are labeled: Valentine----XX but I have had little luck finding a description online (currently getting membership at brickcollectors.com to see if they know its origins)

The dimensions are: 9"(L), 4 1/2" (W), 3"(H)

The color is sandy tan with flecks of various colors inside. It is fairly heavy.

My questions are:

Are the dimensions exceptable to use for a home brick oven (pizza/bread)?

Does anyone know of this type of firebrick?

If it is industrial would it still be safe to use for home use and cooking food?
    Last edited by codename47; 04-15-2009, 07:55 PM.

Re: Firebrick questions

The Valentine XX is a semi-silica firebrick that was manufactured by A. P. Green in Valentine New Jersy. It was used extensively in the steel industry for coke ovens, blast furnace stoves, and other heating furnace linings that weren't in direct contact with molten steel or slag. It was an excellent brick for thermal shock resistance. It would be a good choice for a pizza oven. The size (9x41/2x3) is the standard for the steel industry.

Comment

Tubman356 thanks for the help. It was good to hear they would make a selection. I'll have to post some pictures of my in progress build. I've got the bottom layer mortared and am going to be building up the sides and dome soon. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

My concern would be the possiblity that they were in contact with heavy metals. No way do you want to cook pizza on bricks infused with high concentrations of metals.

That particular brick may not have been originally intended for contact with molten metals, but unless you really know/trust your source.....how can you be sure?

Generally, most of us here on the forum do not recommend using recycled bricks from steel/metal facilities for this reason.

RT

Comment

just throwing my .02 in on the firebrick. wouldn't a situation like that need a brick that disapated heat rather than hold the heat for the oven.

i am amazed at the heat that my oven retains compared to my fireplace. so much that i called the company i bought my firebrick for the fireplace and they have yet to give me the manufacturers name. my firebox doesn't get even close to retaining the heat the pizza oven does.

only reason i bring this up is that i have read in several articles that there are different grades of firebrick and using the correct material means everything!

Comment

Working...
          X