Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** First Fire ***

Hello All,

I will be completing my dome this weekend. My question is how long after the last brick, do i light the first drying fire ?

Thanks all for your help.

Mark
    TOGNJ

Re: *** First Fire ***

Keep it damp for one week. What are you insulating with? Vermiculite concrete takes a long time longer to dry than blanket insulation.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I will be insulating with kaowool 8# then vermiculite (vermicrete) ... shoud i build a fire before i insulate ?

Comment

Congratulations Mark!
        You move fast! Make sure you give us some pictures of the oven.

I waited 10 days for the first small fire, then one every day for a week. I think I roasted peppers on day 4 and then had knockwurst on day 7...

Don't worry if it cracks, they all do it! It adds character!!!
        Regards,
        Vickie

Comment

Insulate first or after is about an even split among builders. I think you have less chance of cracks if you insulate first, but many successful ovens have been fired bare.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Wait at least one week -keep the vermiculete damp.

Comment

thanks all for your help........

Comment

had my 2nd firing last night,,, all went well.. not a crack to be seen, though im sure one will pop up somewhere,,

looking forward to the last fire

thanks all
                Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Mark,

just be very patient...it's worth the wait!

BC
                  Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

nice job, it is worth the wait.
                    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
                    like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

thanks to you all for your help and encouragement here and in other posts, there is an incredible amount of knowledge between all us experts and not so experts. I have learned so much just by reading alone, then the practical experience. I am still waiting on my concrete polishing kit that i talked about in another post... will let you all know how that goes.. I have been cooking regularly now and am just waiting for a weekend when the weather will stay good for 2 days to stucco the dome. My only problem with the build is that i have my chimney too small on the exit from the oven and a lot of smoke seems to bypass it... I may get out the grinder with the masonry blade and see how much i can cut away before i decide to re build the arch and chimney. as usual i am open to any and all suggestions.. In closing (for now) Thanks Everyone... tonight i am cooking dirty steaks again.... REALLLLLY GOOOOD
                      Mark

Comment

hey all,
                        have cooked about 30 pizza's already, oven is working great,, 3 small cracks in the vermicrete.. Im not worried they make it look like an experienced oven, I also still have to stucco the dome. So they should dissapear.. you can also see the 4 inch solid rock maple counter top i added to the side of the shed in the pic.. now for the landscaping

Mark

Comment

cover your oven with plastic for 3 days so that the concrete and morter do not dry out. The plastic traps the moisture that will be drawn out by the days heat and allow the to concrete and morter to reabsorbe the moisture that it would have lost. Do not fire for at least 3 weeks. My oven is designed to crack over the first 8 firings and then a silican resin is put in the cracks followed by a final rendering.Kingfisher

Comment

must feel great to get that fire going......enjoy the fruits of your labor!!!
                            Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Working...
                            X