To mortar or not to mortar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To mortar or not to mortar?

I am sure this is a silly question, but I don't know if I should mortar the soldier course bricks to the insulation layer or not? Is it better to let them have the ablitiy to expand and move accross the insulation layer?

Re: To mortar or not to mortar?

Rodney, I'm at the same point. here's a previous post with some discussion on the topic
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...loor-6615.html

cheers,

scott

Comment

Are the soldier bricks not sitting on the hearth layer ?

Comment

I have a 4 inch slab and on top of that I have fifty, 65cm insulation bricks surrounded by concrete. The soldier bricks sit on the insulation bricks and the fire tile floor sits in the centre of the soldiers. The soldiers are mortared to each other but should they be mortared to the insulation bricks?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodneyf View Post
          I have a 4 inch slab and on top of that I have fifty, 65cm insulation bricks surrounded by concrete. The soldier bricks sit on the insulation bricks and the fire tile floor sits in the centre of the soldiers. The soldiers are mortared to each other but should they be mortared to the insulation bricks?
          IMO and it seems the opinion of a good many others...the soldier course or bottom course does not get mortared down...I think egalecki also used strips of paper under the joints between the soldiers so as not to have anything stick
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

That good to know,Thanks. Could I use aluminium foil under the soldiers to stop them sticking?

Comment

You could use foil, but the paper will burn away when you fire it up, so I'd use that. It was only newspaper strips I used.
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

"Could I use aluminium foil under the soldiers to stop them sticking?"

That should work. Many have used the aluminum foil between the dome bricks and the insulating layer.

Comment

You guys are invaluable to new builders! I am cutting my floor tiles today so I will post some pics when I'm done.

Comment

My vote is for paper...portland cement and aluminum foil don't play very well together...I don't know if there is a funny byproduct
                    Best
                    Dutch

Originally posted by Rodneyf View Post
                    That good to know,Thanks. Could I use aluminium foil under the soldiers to stop them sticking?
                    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks again, I will go with paper then. I have just started cutting the floor tiles and found that after 2 cuts my brand new diamond saw blade just glows red and won't cut. What type of blade should I be using?

Comment

not enough water on the blade?
                        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I was using it dry, and I took it back to the place I bought it and they gave me my money back, nice people! I then bought some Flexovit wheels and they worked a treat with the whole floor cut with one wheel at a cost of $4:34. I have just finished cutting my soldier course and it has cost me less than $6:00 in cutting wheels so far. I am getting such a buzz now that I have all of the materials ready to go and all I need to do is cut and mortar the pieces together.

Comment

Working...
                          X