Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smaller Oven - Hearth / Structural Insulation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller Oven - Hearth / Structural Insulation ?

Does the structural concrete of the hearth play a large role in the amount of insulation that hearth will hold or is it primarily the insullation layer that holds the heat? I am going ot use the oven primarily for delicious pizza.
    I apologize if this sounds like a rhetorical question.

Also, what would be the approximate thickness of the insulating layer needed for a 26-32" dome?

I am really trying to cut down on weight, but definately NOT at the cost of losing insulation.

I am in the engineering process of trying to build a smaller and portable, yes portable, pompei oven. i think that it can be done although my cost calculations have the foundation materials for the portable costing as much if not more than the back yard version. However i live in the city and i am a renter, so my project will have to come with me

Re: Smaller Oven - Hearth / Structural Insulation ?

Your firebricks holds the heat. The insulation keeps the heat from leaking out and into your structural concrete. You should strive at achieving a design were the concrete structure is kept as cool as possible.

karl

Comment

A truly portable oven, one on a trailer or truck that you can take to events, is subject to a lot of vibration. It suggested that a modular oven is much better for such an application, as it has many fewer elements to vibrate loose.

If you're just wanting an oven that can be transported when you move, then I think you could get away with a pompeii on a substantial wheeled steel cart.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If i put it onto a steel cart, would i have to pour any structural cement of just go directly into the super isol or vermiculite mixture insulation layer.

Also, what type of insulation do you prefer - the isol or vermiculate. i was thinking of a combo - 2" of isol within a 4.5 vermiculite/porland layer - 6:1 ratio if i remember correctly

Dmun, the geo project is unreal, absolutely an amazing piece of work. it just might be my next project.

Comment

Working...
        X