Rebar set in concrete foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebar set in concrete foundation

Hi everyone. I'm just about to start my WFO and outdoor kitchen.

I have a question. Is it necessary to insert the rebar into the foundation slab when building the concrete block form? If so, do you drill holes after the foundation is dried or try and guess exactly where the blocks will sit and insert the rebar then?

Cheers.

PS. Photos to come.

Michael.

Re: Rebar set in concrete foundation

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum!

I don't think the vertical rebar is necessary to connect the base to the foundation slab. I used it anyway just to make sure. I laid out the first layer of my block stand in the grass so I could measure exactly where the corner holes would be.

When I set up my foundation forms, I measured and marked on the forms to help me position the rebar properly. After we poured the concrete, I made some quick measurements to double-check, then pushed the rebar into the concrete and assured it was vertical with a bubble level. It worked out very well.

The holes in the concrete block are large enough to accommodate a few inches of error when positioning the rebar.

Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Not being as organized as Ken , I drilled holes and hammered mine in just before setting the blocks. However you want to do it.
      Wade Lively

Comment

Thanks Ken and Wade.

I'll try Ken's idea.

Regarding the fire clay and sand mix to rest hearth bricks on; is it essential that it be fire clay? I can only get hold of 20 kg bag and seems a waste as probably only need couple kilos.

Comment

Michael,

I got all the fireclay I needed by cutting my first course of bricks with a wet saw. You won't need much.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
          X