Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulation question - loose or solid vermiculite covering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation question - loose or solid vermiculite covering?

I have built a fire brick dome (approx size of Casa90) and the surrounding walls. I have lots of vermiculite for the insulation. I was planning to just pour the loose vermiculite in the gap. Or should I mix with cement for a solid covering over the dome? Or does it make no difference...?

Thanks
    James
    (Pictures/movies coming soon)

Re: Insulation question - loose or solid vermiculite covering?

By adding cement and water to the vermiculite to make it set will add considerably to its density and hence reduce its insulation value. Also the water needs to be removed because wet insulation doesn't work well and the steam it produces will create problems. If you can add the vermiculite loose it would be better although there may be a possibility of the vermiculite leaking out if you got a hole in the side of the enclosure.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks - just what I was thinking.

There is no danger of a leak - the enclosure around the dome is brick - if that gets a hole, leaking vermiculite is the least of my worries

James

Comment

For all us Newbies in the UK, where did you get the vermiculite from and is there a particular type/description we should look out for?

Comment

Hi Pault99

I could not find cheaper Vermiculite than from here:
          Vermiculite V4 100 Ltr 429758 : Wilsinc

I got 5 bags (so got free delivery) - I have not used it yet (should do this weekend) so can't be 100% sure this is the right stuff - but I think so. I believe any Vermiculite (called Micafil a lot in the UK) for loose insulation is fine.

I might have bought too much - so might have some going soon.

Also see my other thread in the barter/trade forum, where I might have some storage heater bricks going cheap soon - cheaper than the 2.50 per brick I paid at the local builder merchant !

James

Comment

Does anyone know if you can use packing vermiculite, grade 4, as seen in photos attached.
            I can pick some up but, need to know if it can be used?

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Does anyone know where I can get insulfrax or the equivelent in the UK from someone who is prepared to sell in small enough quantities ie a pompei oven!!

Comment

Have you searched for questions on UK materials? Midland Refractories and somewhere in Sheffield seem to come up most often as recommendations. Have a look around and you'll find a few threads with suggestions in.

cheers,

dave

ps - I used Midland refractories, for what it's worth. Small quantities are fine, but the delivery charge is steep.

Comment

Hey guys,

We are close to having FB UK set up and stocking accessories, including oven tools, insulating blankets and chimney pipe. If you are on a deadline -- don't wait for us. :-) Otherwise, stay tuned, and we will let you know when we can start filling orders.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by shepster View Post
                    Does anyone know where I can get insulfrax or the equivelent in the UK from someone who is prepared to sell in small enough quantities ie a pompei oven!!
                    You would have a local Thermal Ceramics or Morganite agent nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by pzachef View Post
                      Does anyone know if you can use packing vermiculite, grade 4, as seen in photos attached.
                      I can pick some up but, need to know if it can be used?

Thanks, Bob
                      Hi Bob,
                      I used the ULINE vermiculite, But i read somewhere here in one of the forums to use grade 2, Which is what i did, I can tell you it's working fine. Grade 2 is about half the size of what you have pictured. Try doing a forum search for ULINE....

Good Luck

Mark

Comment

I actually purchased the Uline Vermiculite since my intial post of this topic. I bought just what I pictured in my post grade 4. I plan on using it as loose insulation in an enclosure oven build. I had to buy it once I found out it was safe and Ok. I bought 6-4 cubic foot bags for $8.00 US a bag, a good deal I think, no kidding.
                        Thats all the guy had.

Comment

hey chef, You got a great deal, Like i said i got the number 2 and i got 5- 4 cu. foot bags at 22.00 a piece. What you bought for loose fill should work fine, good luck and post some pics so we can see how your doing. Here's the chickend i made for dinner sunday night,,, I put white wine in the beer can...
                          tons of garlic.. Tasted incredible

Mark
                          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X