Transition brick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition brick.

I am having trouble trying to get a good fit with the first brick of course 3 meting the arch. I have included a couple of pics of the brick I have cut sitting in place and would love some comments or advise from the experts out there.

Re: Transition brick.

Hi Rod.

The first pic looks like you have cut too much out of the brick.
    Have you a pic with just a bat there that is not cut?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

What do you mean by a bat?

Comment

I think that first brick will work fine. Those are challenging cuts. Do the same for the other side and lay the third course. Small irregularities will not effect the performance of the oven.
        Cheers,

Comment

Looks good to me too. That's a better fit than many.
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rodneyf View Post
            What do you mean by a bat?
            A half brick.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Rodney,
              I would cut the brick to fit the vertical arch sides and not worry about the opening until it was mortared in place and set. A diamond blade on a small grinder will soon take care of your other angles much easier and if you are concerned, neater.
              I would then cut the top back corners off the arch bricks for your next chain so that your dome bricks have a better than vertical surface to adhere to. I would expect a crack to develop between your course and the arch bricks if you don't. This will be in your oven and allow heat and smoke to escape into your insulating layers.

Rastys
              If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

I knew I would get the right help. I will cut the top of the arch bricks and the continue with the fourth course. I see what you mean about only having a vertical surface to adhere to and cutting them will help for sure. I was really only concerned about the look.

Comment

Rodney,
                  where abouts in this wonderful country do you call home?
                  Don't get too worried about the looks, yes on the outside it sure is a consideration, but make your dome as strong and crack resistant as possible.
                  If you wanted to be a little creative with your diamond disc when cutting the back mitre off your arch bricks, you could even cut a widish groove in them so that your dome chain bricks (with a corresponding lip cut into the common surface) can clip and be cemented in to make them so much stronger. It might take a few minutes longer but adds much more interlocking strength.

Rastys
                  If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

I like the way you think with the idea of a little lip for grip and I was thinking about something like that already. I come from Sydney and the suburb is Padstow in the south west. I have changed the brick now and have used a 3/4 length brick put in length ways to give me enough brick to cut the angle and still have enough to start the course. I have 2 courses nwo against the arch and will start to cut the angle off the arch for the courses from here on. I will also sart to cut out a lip on the transition bricks from the next course as well. I am really happy with the way it is coming together so far and I don't Know what I would do without this forum for advise.
                    Last edited by Rodneyf; 06-14-2009, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Rodney,
                      A pity that you are so far away from my home town of Adelaide.
                      Anyway, good that you can see the way I think and by using longer bricks in the transition area of you oven will ensure a much stronger bond/join
                      All the other chains should be a breeze once the arch is covered.

Rastys

Comment

I have the 3rd course done and will have the 4th done tomorrow, I am really happy with the way it is coming together at the moment. Rastys, how is the rocking horse coming on? If you haven't started yet you should try to get a book called "the rocking horse maker" by Anthony Dew. It will give you all the info you need to make a horse that you will be happy to watch your kids or grand kids play on for hours. The link below will take you to my web album on the oven so far.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/photos4uandme/PizzaOven#
                        Last edited by Rodneyf; 06-14-2009, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X