Enlosure adjacent to house Help !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlosure adjacent to house Help !

I am planning on a build where my enclosure almost touches the corner of our house. It will be a corner build jutting out from our pool patio and will be straddled by our screen enclosure almost like Bandrasco's build, I guess he's in Tampa.

What I'm really looking for are photo's of build's in close proximity to a house. I know when I go for my permit, for one thing, my town doesn't even have a category to put this under and because of wood and fire I know it will be reviewed by the fire chief. So, I'll have to put a package together with information, photo's sketches and plans to get an approval. I dont' expect problems but I will anticipate them. My house is block, my soffits are concrete, my roof and those around me are conrete or barrel tile, but you never know.... that's why i want to put together a good package for review.

I may have to convince them it's safer than a chimnea or open fire pit that they sell at home depot.

Any photo's or advice would be great.
    Thanks, Bob
    Last edited by pzachef; 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM.

Re: Enlosure adjacent to house Help !

I think code is that your chimney needs to be 2 feet higher than any roof withing 10 feet. So if you have it within 10 feet of the house, it should be 2 feet higher than the roof...That is a lot of chimney.

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

When the oven is connected to the house, it has to follow the code for masonry fireplaces. You can find the current code on rumford.com

The main thing is clearance to combustibles, and having your chimney 2 feet above anything within 10 feet.

My oven, linked below, was built into my workshop, in combination with an internal fireplace. As Drake says, that's a lot of chimney, and if you build a traditional masonry flue tile lined chimney it's a lot of work. Also, if it's part of the house it has to have proper below grade footings. You may not have a frost line in florida, but you still need footings.

Good luck with the building department. Keep stressing the "masonry fireplace" angle. They're used to those.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The good news of having a tall chimney is you will draft good and won't have the smoke problems some people have with short chimneys. But it will mean more work and weight to support!

Good Luck!
        Jay

Comment

Also, I would suggest running what you are planning past your insurance agent. Then, in the unlikely event of something happening they cannnot then feign something on the order of "If you had asked us we would have told you.....and therefore voids coverage."

Bests,
          Wiley

Comment

All good opinions and info to hear please keep it comming.
            It's appreciated and respected.

Bob

Comment

Are you sure you even need a permit? some fire codes don't actually apply to single family homes. the chiefs always want to regulate beyond the limits of their control so if you ask they will of course tell you what to do, but maybe you should first find out if in truth you need their permission. In general, if their code does not cover a use, you can proceed. this just happened to me here in the "heck of a lot more regulated than Florida" midwest, so I'm not making this up

Comment

Maybe you have a chimney in your house you could tie-in to? I put up my oven close to the main building, but chose to erect the chimney on the side. The code I am using allow me to build the chimney such that its centre exit is 10 ft away from any other ignitable structures.

Comment

Thanks Tom and Karl,

Tom I'm kind of thinking the same thing. When I called the town they don't even have a category or classification to put this under. I got the what is it question. Maybe I will just go ahead, not sure right now though. I'm still laying my oven out in 3d on my computer. The opening arch transition was something I needed to see as I'm doing my VIRTUAL build first.

Thanks again to everyone, comments and opinions are always respected and appreciated, Bob

Comment

The only code I had to deal with in my area was the above mentioned (by dmun) national fire code. Pool screen enclosures ARE included as a scructure in my area, so I set my oven exactly at the 10' mark. The local building dept asked if my scructure (oven) would be over 130 sq ft, I told them no and also mention no running water or electricity.....he said go for it, it sounds like an outdoor BBQ, referred to the fire chief who confirmed the chimney aspect.....so no codes or inspections here. I was really surprised by this because FL is as regulated and code happy as anywhere now, as a home owner there are only a few things that can be done leagally without a permit (change a light bulb, change a light fixture, paint (better get HOA approval for that) and flushing my toilet are about the only things allowed without a permit. OH, mowing my lawn also does not......that about it.
                    I do remember a builder a couple of yrs ago that had several code issues to deal with in Miami/Dade county in Miami. they had to inspect each level -base slabe, support side wall tie in to the slab, the hearth slab, finially the dome. Apparently every thing down there requires a permit. right now I am flagrantly putting up a fence without a permit,I think it will go unnoticed, otherwise I AM LOOKINg at a $500 for each day work goes on without a permit.
                    Just make an extra couple of calls and you should know for certain,and if not, build it anyway and beg for forgiveness if caught.

RT

Comment

I got the what is it question.
                      For code purposes, it's a backyard barbeque if it's freestanding, and it's a masonry fireplace if it's built into a house.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

[QUOTE]Maybe I will just go ahead, not sure right now though./QUOTE]

Maybe if you rephrased the question and asked how far from your main building you could put up a new fire-place or a new chimney the answer would be more definite. I do not think the question is to what code the oven should be designed to, but rather to what code your main building dictate. At least that is what your insurance company will tell you if the worst should happen and a glow from your oven chimney set up a fire on your main house.
                        I think it is better to follow the rule rather having a potential future problem.

regards from Karl

Comment

Talk to your local municipal building personnel. These are knowledgeable people and are usually eager to give advice.

If required, absolutely positively get a building permit. Any contractor that tells you other wise is a con. Building permits are there for your protection.

If something goes wrong, your insurance company will be delighted that you didn't get a permit. They won't have to pay anything.

Comment

I agree with Neil to a point. Building permits were originally intended for our protection, now many years later there are MANY municipalities who are using the system soley for revenue generation. My own city (a burb of Tampa) is one of the worst. Looking back at 13yrs in this town I do not know of anyone who has passed any inspection the first time. My town lives off of the permit fee and the fines that are imposed for a failed inspection. 3 such occursions happenend during my pool build. The first to were inregards to the pool/spa lights ground wire.....the nut was lef loose, I grabbed a wrench a reached down to tighten it, only to be told "don't touch it, the builder must be here to do it (and pay a $25 fine for each day it is not completed). Came back fist thing (7 am) the next moring durring a monsoon rain, took one look and mentioned he needed accees to the connection which was in a hole in the ground..........full of what fron the rain. I again offered to quickly bail out the water, he refused, again muttering the builder should have been there. The inspectors BS and lack of any decentcy racked up 2 fines for rediculous reason that I could have take care off before he took off his rubber boots to leave. Bottom line, pull permits in
                            Oldsmar FL and you fines will be double the original permit cost.....the permit requirements are getting far out of hand - some examples - all painting, hot water tank replacement, sprinkler systems, landscaping if it involves a certain number of trees or the total sq, ft of the project. That new bath light and toilet you what to throw in your spare bathroon...need a permit.

I have decided to challenge city hall, my new fence will be going in next week without a permit......I"m tired of these 2 jokers and their God like demeanor. If they catch me I will play dumb, then unlease the furry of about 12 neighbors who also jumped through the hoops several times and are still pissed. I want a system based on helping, eleviating fears, and catching actual issues that could lead to a failure. These guys have a ticket quota and do their best to acheive.

RT
                            Last edited by RTflorida; 06-28-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I don't need no stinking building permit.

He he.
                              Last edited by Neil2; 06-29-2009, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X