Foundation Slab Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation Slab Questions

Hi, guys.. For some reason I am having the hardest time understanding this bit of information in the E-book concerning the Foundation Slab

"The slab dimensions listed below are 8 " wider than the
    dimensions of your concrete block stand, providing you
    with 2" for finish material, and a 2" reveal on either side of
    the stand. The slab is also 10" deep, allowing for 4" in the
    back (2" finish and reveal), and 6" in front (the additional
    space makes a nice edge for your wood storage). The
    foundation slab will also be used to support forms that you
    will use during the hearth slab construction The finished
    top of the slab should be 2"-3" above ground level."

This makes absolutely NO sense to me at all. "2 inch finish material"? "2 inch reveal"?

And how can the slab be 10"deep, when it is supposed to be 5 1/2 inches?

and what does it mean by the slab allows 4 inches in the back and 6" in the front? Isnt the slab supposed to be even?

I'm sorry guys, but the directions arent making any sense to me.

Re: Foundation Slab Questions

i wish there was a tutorial or youtube video one could buy, so that I could see this visually

Comment

I took this information to mean that the slab dimensions left you with 4 inches on either side of the stand (right and left, facing the oven). The idea here is that the four inches on either side leaves you with 2 inches for a facing material (brick/stone/stucco veneer) to cover the blocks and then a 2 inch "lip" to whatever your slabs abuts (grass for example). For the front and rear (facing the oven) it suggests the 4 inches in back, 2 inches for facing material and 2 inch "lip" and then the 6 inches in front affords you the space to have a more substantial facing like stone or brick which is thicker.

Comment

Those Texans are sure smart.

Comment

Originally posted by DimTex View Post
          I took this information to mean that the slab dimensions left you with 4 inches on either side of the stand (right and left, facing the oven). The idea here is that the four inches on either side leaves you with 2 inches for a facing material (brick/stone/stucco veneer) to cover the blocks and then a 2 inch "lip" to whatever your slabs abuts (grass for example). For the front and rear (facing the oven) it suggests the 4 inches in back, 2 inches for facing material and 2 inch "lip" and then the 6 inches in front affords you the space to have a more substantial facing like stone or brick which is thicker.
          oh... why thank you.. i dont have the slightest clue as to why they would use a word such as 10 inches "DEEP" (implying depth) when referencing the mere front and back of the stand.

it would have made more sense had they had left that word out.

And, could you elaborate on the "2 inch 'lip' to whatever your slabs abuts" part?

sorry for the questions... i am a new-born virgin when it comes to this stuff.

Comment

By "lip" I mean that exposed edge of the concrete slab between where the concrete ends and whatever you cover the concrete blocks with whether it be stucco, brick or whatever else.

As an example for my own project since I plan on covering the outside of the concrete block stand in thick limestone block (it's pretty cheap here) I will use the entire 4 inches from the side of the block stand to the edge of the slab to support the limestone block covering.

Comment

Working...
            X