Angle Iron Length Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle Iron Length Question

I found 2" x 2" angle iron but its only 48 inches long. Is that long enough to span the opening of my oven stand which is 60 inches wide?

Thanks

Re: Angle Iron Length Question

No. It will be 60-48=12 inches too short.

Comment

I posed this question improperly. The width of my oven stand is 60 inches, the span of the opening is 31 inches. Is that long enough or should the angle iron extend across the full width (60") of the stand?

Comment

You will have over a foot of bearing each side, that should be more than enough. Even 2 - 3 inches would be plenty.

Comment

Neil,

Thanks, just to double check the 48 inch angle iron across a 31 inch open span (leaving 8 inches on either side of the opening) is strong enough? to support everything that will go atop? When filling the cores does it make sense to fill all the cores in the front of the stand (the two corners and the single core on each side of the opening)?

Thanks

Comment

Yep, that will be more than enough. Builders have dispensed with the row of blocks above the opening entirely, to get more access to the wood storage, and just put in an extra piece or two of rebar in the slab. If you're worried, plug the holes on the bottom, and fill the gaps between blocks with mortar. That should solidify things.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

THe block are plenty strong by themselves. I would drop a piece of 1/2 inch rebar in and fill the corners and the single cores front of the stand. If you are using the "knock out" type of blocks for the top course, run a 1/2 inch rebar around the top and fill this with concrete as well.

Then, in the future, the poor b@@@tard who tries to demolish it will curse you forever.
              Last edited by Neil2; 07-09-2009, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X