Which oven to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which oven to buy?

I would like to buy the best modular oven kit at least 42" and assemble on-site. Can someone please provide suggestions with the link to the product? Thanks

Re: Which oven to buy?

I bought the Casa series years ago and found it easy to build and quite satisfactory. (The only negative would be that the one I bought came with a hinged door which I would not recommend for it restricts your door design and gets in the way.) I did add about one inch of additional refractory to the dome to increase the mass slightly in order to make it more bread friendly (more mass) but it still is usually ready for pizza in roughly 45 minutes.

I will gladly answer questions if you have any.

Good Luck!
    Jay

Comment

Is this the same?

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/pompeii_datasheet.pdf

Comment

The one I bought is no longer available but is similar to the ovens called Bravo Casa. On the Forno Bravo site, look on the left hand menu choose Modular Pizza Ovens under Residential Ovens. It will be the bottom unit on the page.

The advantage of a refractory kit like this is you can build it quite rapidly and the performance is excellent. I want to build an oven from scratch some day but I am very happy with my Casa.

Good Luck!
        Jay

Comment

Go with the build from scratch, it will keep you busy for months and give you a sense of satisfaction that you would not have thought possible. I had never laid a brick before I started my build and have not lit a fire in the beast yet but the day I do will be a day to remember. The things you are forced to remember from school maths lessons that you thought you would never need again keep the mind active.
          Take a little of the WFO build drug and you will be hooked!

Comment

No, this is a kit of raw materials that are hard to source locally, if you want to build your own oven from scratch, using the pompeii plans.

at least 42"
            42 inches is a really big oven for domestic use, no reason to go bigger unless it is for commercial use.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If I were going to buy an oven I would buy this one:
              Artigiano100 39" True Brick Pizza Oven :: Residential Pizza Ovens :: Forno Bravo Store
              it is 39 inches, I have a 38" now, and for me that is plenty big, and I cook a lot!
              Drake
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                If I were going to buy an oven I would buy this one:
                Artigiano100 39" True Brick Pizza Oven :: Residential Pizza Ovens :: Forno Bravo Store
                it is 39 inches, I have a 38" now, and for me that is plenty big, and I cook a lot!
                Drake
                It is hard for me to justify $4600 (how much for delivery??) when I can buy the materials for $1000 and either build it myself or hire a mason for $25/hr. Am I missing something?

Comment

The Artigiano is a deluxe oven!

The Casa works well and is far more affordable. The cost reason is why many go the Pompeii way - but there is also the construction factor which appeals to many. I suspect many find the cost of materials acquisition eats into the savings over a modular oven - unless they really work hard at scrounging materials. But that is part of the adventure of the Pompeii!

Building an oven - even a modular one - takes some time. Building and finishing the base and slab, putting the floor and dome together, insulating, and finishing take a good bit of time.

Good Luck!
                  Jay

Comment

It is hard for me to justify $4600 (how much for delivery??) when I can buy the materials for $1000 and either build it myself or hire a mason for $25/hr. Am I missing something?
                    You're paying for expertise and quality. Artigianos never crack, for one thing. It's made by the best craftspeople in Italy. Is it worth it? Well I didn't buy one, but that doesn't mean that they aren't worth buying.

One warning about hiring a mason to build an oven. They seem adverse to following instructions. Unless they have a lot of specific experience building brick ovens, you may have to supervise them really carefully.

Comment

Thanks, we have decided to have a mason build the stand with proper footings for new england and the base. We ordered the Pompii (Casa110) insulation materials and we are buying the fire brick, mortor, etc locally. I would like an expert opinion on A. The floor insulation; should we use the insulating boards or 4" of vermiculite concrete? B. Opinion on using a foam-board dome form or what to form the dome. I saw a ball was used in one photo but I can't figure out how that shape worked (unless it was partially flat maybe?) C. We plan on using the insulating blankets with vermiculite then stucco, sound right? Thanks!!

Comment

1A. The floor insulation; should we use the insulating boards or 4" of vermiculite concrete?
                        The boards are thinner, flatter (you may be able to lay your floor right on your insulation without a leveling layer),easier and faster (no week to cure vermicrete).
                        The vermiculite concrete is cheaper.
                        B. Opinion on using a foam-board dome form or what to form the dome. I saw a ball was used in one photo but I can't figure out how that shape worked (unless it was partially flat maybe?)
                        The various vanes can work but it's hard to clean the masonry on the inside of the dome while you're working. I think the guy who used the ball used a variation on the indispensable tool, and used the partially flattened ball to support the last few, most horizontal courses.

Comment

there are two interior vault hights on page 13 and 30
                          which do you think we should do?

Comment

The hemisphere (High vault) is stronger and easier to build. It'll fit a turkey better.

Comment

Working...
                            X