Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing Terminology??

Hey guys,

On page 13 of the instructions for the Oven stand... it lists several dimensions... 2 for a 42" size oven, and 2 for a 36" oven.

Now... I am buildng for a 42 width size oven, yet there are TWO different types of dimensions for the stand...

One is labeled "Oven Width", the other "Oven depth". I take it ONE is for measuring how WIDE the oven should be and the other for how tall from the ground it should be.. is that right?

But THEN an even MORE confusing part...

They have all these different names for different sections like "Exterior", "interior", "insulation", "upper wall", "vent landing" and "oven landing"--which I dont know WHICH parts what under those names/labels. and the oven width's dimensions are different than the oven depth's dimensions for it. It is the exact same way for the 36 size oven's dimensions also.

Some of this stuff is just WAAY too confusing and is beYOND me. Can I get a bit of help here?
    First start off by explaining to me this "Oven Width" vs. "Oven Depth" stuff. My head is hurting. lol

Re: Confusing Terminology??

Hi Achilles,
    I'll be of partial help to you. Here is a sketch of my concrete block "base" for my 42" oven. I've shown what some of things are like "oven landing", etc. The "plans" say a 42" oven base (the concrete block stand) is 69"x76" (thats width by depth). Mine was 70" wide by 78" deep because that's what using whole concrete blocks add up to (when using the 8"x16" plain blocks you buy at Home Depot). When the book says INTERIOR dimensions of a 42" oven is 42 and exterior is 51" that's because the 42" oven floor is surrounded by 4.5" bricks (we call them the "soldier course" on the 1st row around the floor) so that equals 51" exterior dimension. Once you add 3-4" of insulation blanket around your 51" oven dome, then and inch or 2 of space then your 2x4 framming (if you are not building an igloo style) you are about 69" wide needed for an oven. Also, I think "oven landing" & "vent landing" are the same, it's the area that comes out straight you from the round floor and the vent opening sits above it.

I hope this helps a little, maybe someone already has another sketch or previous post showing some labels and what they refer to. But look over others posts and the picture gallery, and I promise it will make more sense AND PLEASE ASK (or even re-ask) ANY MORE QUESTIONS. We'll try to help.

You'll have a great time building and using it once you get these terms straightened out! Thanks, Dino
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

One of the best things you could do is to read Dino's post from beginning to end. He asked most of the questions I have (and some I didn't know enough to have). I've borrowed liberally from what others have done, but I'm guessing that I borrowed most from him because of his willingness to ask the right questions. His drawings are also very helpful. I did note that the drawing he posted above doesn't appear to have the insulation extend beyond the floor. I know he extended it to underneath the soldier course as well. You need insulation under the edges of the dome as well as under the floor or you will lose too much heat into the slab.
      Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
        Hi Achilles,
        I'll be of partial help to you. Here is a sketch of my concrete block "base" for my 42" oven. I've shown what some of things are like "oven landing", etc. The "plans" say a 42" oven base (the concrete block stand) is 69"x76" (thats width by depth). Mine was 70" wide by 78" deep because that's what using whole concrete blocks add up to (when using the 8"x16" plain blocks you buy at Home Depot). When the book says INTERIOR dimensions of a 42" oven is 42 and exterior is 51" that's because the 42" oven floor is surrounded by 4.5" bricks (we call them the "soldier course" on the 1st row around the floor) so that equals 51" exterior dimension. Once you add 3-4" of insulation blanket around your 51" oven dome, then and inch or 2 of space then your 2x4 framming (if you are not building an igloo style) you are about 69" wide needed for an oven. Also, I think "oven landing" & "vent landing" are the same, it's the area that comes out straight you from the round floor and the vent opening sits above it.

I hope this helps a little, maybe someone already has another sketch or previous post showing some labels and what they refer to. But look over others posts and the picture gallery, and I promise it will make more sense AND PLEASE ASK (or even re-ask) ANY MORE QUESTIONS. We'll try to help.

You'll have a great time building and using it once you get these terms straightened out! Thanks, Dino
        Ah thanks... this DOES it, man. thank you.

But just a couple of questions.

1)Now I understand Oven Depth and Oven Width, one is simply the width of the stand, the other is the length (idk WHY they would call it depth though-- in school we were taught it was called "length").
        So if Oven Depth is just the length. Then how can it be that the dimensions for the Oven landing is 0" Oven Width x 12" Oven Depth, and the same for the Vent landing, except the Oven Depth being 4"?

2) Why exactly is the insulation 10" Oven Width x 5" Oven Depth? Is it supposed to be thicker on the front and back sides of the oven but thinner on the sides?

3) And the "upper wall"... What exactly is that? Is that supposed to be jargon for the CEILING of the oven? And why is that 8" x 4"?

4) And the "inch or 2 of space then your 2x4 framming (if you are not building an igloo style) " where exactly in the directions does it talk/.elaborate/specify on this?

Thanks.

Comment

1. I think this may have come from the fact that James is from a software background (just guessing) - he is not a gear head.

2. Without going to the dwgs, just insulate as much as you can where ever you can. It will be your friend.

3. Again - don't know what you are referring to. If you look at any of our builds, I think you will get a great in sight to how easy these really are to build. I look back at some of my questions and I feel like an idiot. It is intimidating at first, but I guarantee that in 12 months you will be answering peoples questions - hang in here!

4. Easy question. Look at my build - it's an igloo. Look at Kens build - it's an enclosure. This is the best part because it gives you the flexibility of being unique. Personally I think you can get a better insulated oven using an enclosure but I walk to the drum beat of my wife

Keep the questions coming - everyone here is to help you succeed. This is by far the best forum on the planet.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            1. I think this may have come from the fact that James is from a software background (just guessing) - he is not a gear head.

2. Without going to the dwgs, just insulate as much as you can where ever you can. It will be your friend.
            Okay.

3. Again - don't know what you are referring to. If you look at any of our builds, I think you will get a great in sight to how easy these really are to build. I look back at some of my questions and I feel like an idiot. It is intimidating at first, but I guarantee that in 12 months you will be answering peoples questions - hang in here!
            Okay.. how exactly do you get access to looking at people's builds and stuff?

4. Easy question. Look at my build - it's an igloo. Look at Kens build - it's an enclosure. This is the best part because it gives you the flexibility of being unique. Personally I think you can get a better insulated oven using an enclosure but I walk to the drum beat of my wife

Keep the questions coming - everyone here is to help you succeed. This is by far the best forum on the planet.

Les...
            Ah! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by achilles007 View Post

Okay.. how exactly do you get access to looking at people's builds and stuff?

You can do this for any member, and there may be a faster way but this works for me.

1. Click on my name and view public profile
              2. select statistics
              3. find all threads
              4. look for les' build

Warning - this is a huge thread with a lot of BS you may not want to sort through. There is a volume of information nested it it.

To see people's pictures and some discription, go to the photo gallery.

1. Again, look for Les and select it. You will see all of my pictures.

There are quite a few well documented builds, if you see someones avatar that interest you, you can see how it evolved.

Bring on any and all questions - this group is here for you. Good luck!

Les...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
              X