Ash slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash slot

I have seen plans elsewhere that incorporate an ash disposal slot, alternately in the back or side of the oven, that drops into a separate hold with a metal door. I have not seen any like that here, why not ?
    And -- whats the best way to remove ash, just sweep it out I guess.

Jason

Re: Ash slot

Hi Jason.

In all honesty - you will probably never use an ash slot.

More than likely, the only time you will clean your oven out is when the oven is cold, and even then after 5 or so fires.

When you do this, you'll be using your pizza peel to shovel the ash and charcoal out into a wheel barrow.

at first, you'll be really fastidious, and use a small soft broom to sweep out all the ash... but after doing it once or twice, you'll be satisfied to just remove as much as as you can with the peel and leave the rest.

BUT!

If you are baking bread or some such other baked good where you want to remove an active fire, You'll still use your peel and a wheel barrow!!!!

yes - you could rake the coals down and ash slot.... but then you just have to clean the ashes out later... why make 2 jobs out of one?

To remove the ash from the floor to bake bread direct, you'll need to swaddle your oven.

to do this, you take a piece of damp cloth, and mop the floor of your oven to completely remove any ash on the floor.

Some people swaddle their oven when cooking pizza, some people use a brass brush to sweep the ash clear.

I find that bouncing the peel up and down on the floor of the oven, blows all the ash off the floor into the air, where the convective currents in the oven carry it out the chimney... which is much quicker and doesn't cool the cooking floor at all!

hope this helps...

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitchamus; 07-28-2009, 06:24 PM.
    -------------------------------------------
    My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Comment

Thanks Mitch,
      All of your points are very valid, and very helpful, thank you.
      I suppose, in the back of my mind, I am still thinking in terms of my Through-the-wall design ( see my other thread ) when during a New England winter....... Nah, y'know forget it, there is no real advantage to an ash slot, and no point, thank you, I retract my query

Comment

If you'll be emptying it indoors,
        I guess you'll want to disturb the ash as little as possible...

when you use an ash drop, the ash plumes back up through the slot in a big cloud...
        My 2nd Build:
        Is here

Comment

If you build in a 1 inch wide ash slot directly across the opening, between the hearth bricks and the counter top this will also act as a heat break.

This will keep the counter top from heating up and the 1 inch wide slot is not an impediment to using the peel or sliding pots in or out.

Comment

Neil, are you saying the slot could lead to an ash dump, or are you implying a shallow slot as a heat break.
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
              This will keep the counter top from heating up and the 1 inch wide slot is not an impediment to using the peel or sliding pots in or out.
              It'll still get hot from radiated heat.

I have an oven with an ash drop... an inch really isn't large enough to take the larger coals as well as ash. you need about 2 inches for it to be use-able without being a pain.
              also, ideally, you'd put it at the dome opening, not between the counter top and the landing, otherwise, you'd dirty your landing for no reason, and also (seeing as how this might be an indoor install) increase the risk dropping ash & coals on the floor...
              My 2nd Build:
              Is here

Comment

Also, having an ash dump right below your oven opening reduces wood storage. This is the voice of experience: Having wood right near by, and a place to wash your hands are two very important facets of cooking area design.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thank you all, so maybe I'm back to the possibility of an ash dump at the back of the dome, an ash dump with a sealed door at the bottom, I should think wouldn't plume-up ash that badly, would it? Thus preserving the wood storage area in the front.

Comment

check out this video on youtube.

it's franky g's oven, and you'll see him use his ash drop.

check out of the amount of ash that flies up.... It would probably all go out the chimney, but you never know...

YouTube - Frankie G's Wood Fired Pizza Oven how it works

trust me - you won't use it, and it's just that much more messing about when you do your hearth slab.

an ash slot at the back would ruin your convection currents in your oven as well, by letting cold air into your dome.

normally, the air swirls in from the front and completes a cycle through the oven, if you have 2 air entrances (the front & your rear ash slot) this might mess up the way the oven draws..

ok

here's another scenario... imagine it's blowing a gale outside.... and the wind angles just right to go straight up your ash slot opening outside... a massive plume of ash & embers flies out through your oven opening... showering your living room with crud!

a bit dramatic I know.... but it's possible..
                    Last edited by Mitchamus; 07-29-2009, 06:37 PM.
                    My 2nd Build:
                    Is here

Comment

I'm back to the possibility of an ash dump at the back of the dome
                      Holes in the baking chamber are SUCH a bad idea, besides which the back of your oven is the hottest area, and you may need that hot place sometimes, not a big hole and heat-leak.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Well, allrighty then, I am back to my post #3 attitude, no ash slot/dump.
                        I thank you all, gentlemen, and be done with it. Goodnight.
                        Jason

Comment

"Neil, are you saying the slot could lead to an ash dump, or are you implying a shallow slot as a heat break. "

My 1 inch wide slot funnels to a 4 inch diameter ash drop through the structural slab. I don't store wood under my oven (It is an open design on piles).

Comment

Love the video
                            Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                            X