design preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• design preferences

Wow, this site is amazing. You have defiantely started/ maintain a huge interest- Thanks.
    I got the no ash slot, two slabs: Structural and perlite- same shape or not, next question while looking at some striking dome step photos. Some cut the brick hearth, (round) others make it large enough to act as a base for the first course- which one makes the most sense. What is the angle of the cut for the first course- so the second course starts the curved dome shape. Has anyone devised a clamp/ support device instead of sticks when not using an inner support? Would a metal form shaped in a "c" work?

THANKS,

Patric

Re: design preferences

Some cut the brick hearth, (round) others make it large enough to act as a base for the first course- which one makes the most sense.
    Your choice: One is more traditional, and makes for a possible floor replacement, which may never be necessary in a home oven, two is easier, less fussy cutting, and my distribute the weight of the dome better.
    What is the angle of the cut for the first course- so the second course starts the curved dome shape.
    This is new: everyone previously just used mortar here, like on the other courses. I think it came from the fit-every-brick builds. Again, completely optional.
    Has anyone devised a clamp/ support device instead of sticks when not using an inner support?
    Search for "indispensable tool". There are several variants.
    Would a metal form shaped in a "c" work?
    There were traditional supports in the form of bent wooden strips. One could envision a steel spring steel form, but it would have to be flexible enough to be curled away and be removed: you couldn't burn it out like the traditional wood one.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
    X