32" Oven Big enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 32" Oven Big enough?

Boy, I'm impressed !! Thanks for the great photos. I think I'll use them in helping with my build. My foundation is excavated below grade also (due to topo isues) so that helped a lot.

Comment

Nice to see another NC oven build. I am in Charlotte and planning ground breaking after the weather gets a little warmer ( and wife gets off my back about all the other things I need to do first!).

Keep us posted, look forward to seeing your build. I might just have to plan a trip to Asheville!

Jason

Comment

My oven is only 21" diam yet by removing the coals and maintaining a small fire on the side I can still fit 3 x 9" pizzas in. I only use this method if cooking for more than 30 people, usually, like everyone else I cook one pizza at a time. A smaller oven is way quicker and cheaper to build, uses less materials, takes up less sspace and weighs much less.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Yes, it looks like I may have to go smaller, but I still want to stay with a brick oven and a cost of under $1,000 if possible. It's the oven arch/vent area that's casuing me headaches. I guess I'll just have to place with some designs. I was considering a clay horno, but it's not brick.

Comment

I agree with you!
            The Office series dvd
            The Tudors series dvd
            Smallville box set
            one tree hill box set
            Will And Grace dvd season

Comment

has anyone done smaller ovens less than 32"?
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/o...-nz-14012.html

Comment

Mine is a barrel vault, 22"W by 36"L, and I anticipate putting at least 2 12" pies in at a time. Nothing is too big or too small; it can only be wrong for your needs.

Comment

Mine is 540 mm (21") and is ideal for us. It is the way you manage the space that is the key. We cook one pizza at a time, most do this anyway, it is the preparation that takes the time. We can cook three 9" pizzas at a time if feeding a big crowd. We usually finish by cooking a loaf or two of bread. The advantages of a small oven outweigh its limitations in my view, less materials, cheaper and less time consuming to build, takes up less space, lower fuel consumption, lighter and therefore no massive foundaations.

Comment

@David S
                    Does the 21" have enough thermal mass for a roast?

Comment

Yes, We use it to do roasts a lot. Oven wall thickness 2 1/2 " floor thickness the same.

Comment

Did you make the dome from castable or Firebrick.

Comment

I used castable for both the dome and floor.

Comment

david s - why does almost everyone I talk to say that I 30'' is the minimum size, and you are happy with your 21''? Do you have a technique that others don't know, hehe

John

Comment

The tradition of a large oven goes way back when it would be used for large families. How big is your normal kitchen oven? Therefore why would you want your outdoor oven larger? I have cooked pizzas for a party of 80 and we cooked 70 9" pizzas (3 at a time) in my little oven. I did refire it once, which took out about 25 mins of cooking time. Generally I'm quite comfortable to cook for a crowd of up to 30. I usually take out about 2/3 of the coals and maintain a fire on the side. Because space is limited I made a cradle for this side fire from 2" wide thin stainless bent and joined in the shape of a D The curved part of the D sit against the side oven wall and leaves enough room for cooking. I half fill the cradle with coals, blow the ah away from the floor and throw finger sized sticks into the cradle to maintain flame. I usually only cook one pizza at a time. It is the preparation of the pizzas which takes the time not the cooking. Always try to have another pizza ready to go in, so you are cooking constantly.

Comment

I have seen more designs around 21-23 inch size so don't feel were picking on you for having a wee one David were just interested in what you have done and contemplating a similar design. Thanks for sharing your experience and build details.

What size is the door way in your oven?

Regards
                                Bart
                                Last edited by wemme; 02-08-2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X