smoke temp at chimney exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoke temp at chimney exit

Can someone tell me how hot the smoke is coming out of a 36" chimney at the hottest time of fire building? We have a telephone line 48" directly above where we want to put our proposed chimney exit using a 36" tall chimney pipe.

Thanks

Re: smoke temp at chimney exit

Move the phone line!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizza Pizza View Post
      Can someone tell me how hot the smoke is coming out of a 36" chimney at the hottest time of fire building?
      It's gotta be well in excess of a 1000F.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I had measured 1200 C degrees (+2000 F) at the entry of the chimney on fire running.
        Move the fone line or use a cone or mushroom top on the chimney.
        Burning ashes must be considered, too.

Luis

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised. I almost didn't ask the question. I would have thought the temperature would have dissipated more by then (48" from the exit of a 36" chimney). Yes, I am going to use some sort of spark arrester/cone anyway. I have an alternate location I can put the oven in. I will do that. Moving the phone line would be a hassle,... it's the neighbors phone line (living in the city sucks). Thanks for your input.

Fred

Comment

Oh, if it is the neighbor's phone line...I think it will be just fine
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I measured 120C at base of chimney(using laser non touch thermometer) and no more than 80 at the top(4 foot). Internal temp of oven was 500c ish.

Not too sure how acurate this thermometer is, but soo o inside of oven had burnt off, meaning the oven was well over 400c. Also, chimney was 8" which may effect things.

Comment

120 C sounds more accurate to me. I think someone slipped a decimal point.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I had measured 1200 C degrees (+2000 F) at the entry of the chimney on fire running.
                  Your chimney tile would be glowing bright red at that temperature. That's cone 6 in ceramics, just short of stoneware temperatures.

Time to re-calibrate that instrument.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                  X