• Show
Clear All

• where do i put the vent

question i'm building a 48" pizza oven

would like to have a two door system

i door to close off oven to make bread after vent

second door to close off oven to allow heating and venting

how do i locate the center of the vent in the arc

i think what i see is the dome higher then the vent ?

Re: where do i put the vent

would like to have a two door system
    1 door to close off oven to make bread after vent
    second door to close off oven to allow heating and venting
    This is pretty standard. The inner door is removable, and can be as simple as a piece of wood.

The outer door is optional, is called a draft door, and has vents at the bottom, to direct a blast of combustion air at the bottom of the fire. Some builders have made these with panels of oven glass to see the fire in action. Unless you have an indoor oven where you need a way to seal off the flue, you may not need this at all.

how do i locate the center of the vent in the arc
    There are a lot of ways of doing this. Browse through the photo gallery under "vent and chimney" and get some ideas. Here's a particularly elegant approach by sjmeff:

i think what i see is the dome higher then the vent ?
    Yes, the opening of the entry is about two thirds the height of the dome.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

okay if i have a 48" circle where is the center of the vent go
      ie a 9" circle at 2' from center
      is there some kind of formula for this
      sorry for the ? just not sure i understand the vent location part
      i see some ovens that have burn's or smoke on front while others don't
      don't laught but i'm making a tiki man with his mouth as the opening so don't want smoke coming out front of oven

Comment

don't laught but i'm making a tiki man with his mouth as the opening
        We don't laugh at creative oven builders! I think it's great.

But I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Have you read the instructions?
        Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven
        Have you looked at the pictures?
        PhotoPlog - Photo Gallery

Comment

looking down from top say oven dome is a circle
          and vent is a circle there has to be a distance from center of dome to center of vent

this will effect the spot where you cut the dome to allow the vent

Comment

after reading again think it's the 4" for vent landing pad plus 12 for entrance i assume this will make the vent cut the dome at the correct location

and keeping my opening to the correct dimension should make the oven vent right

Comment

You know, from you reading, that the vent isn't in the dome at all: it's in the entry arch. Thus, in a 48 inch oven, the slot probably starts 24 inches in from the center, and is as big as you can conveniently make it, for better draw. This isn't exact: every oven is different.

Comment

Also, remember that your inner arch (synonymous with inner door or oven opening) is, according the Pompeii plans pdf file that you can download off this website and from looking at most peoples oven build on this forum) is 20" wide and usually 11-12" high. Since your opening (or main oven, entry door) will be 20 wide, that means your 48" oven will not be a complete circle. It will have a 20" straight line where it perfectly meets that portion of your 48" circumference. Then there is the "vent landing" in front of that area that has the 8" or larger vent pipe above it. You are building a large 48" oven, you should have at least an 8" round vent or bigger rectangular vent but in So Cal, I don't see too many of the rectangular clay pipes you see in other parts of the country.

From there you have the "outer arch". Your vent pipe will be between the inner and outer arch. The distance from the center of the dome to the center of the vent pipe is really a factor of how deep your "vent landing" area is. Mine is 15" deep, others have a 9" deep vent landing. The center of the vent will be farther because of my 15" landing than the 9" deep landing.

Very few of us have an OUTER door. It is a cool thing to have but an outer door is mostly for smoking foods and can be used to start the oven fire more efficiently. But by far the majority of us on the forum have only 1 door, and it is sized for the inner arch (oven opening) to close it off for retaining heat.

I'm impressed you are going for a 48" oven. Any reason for it, not that you need one. Remember to add 9" for brick width, then 3-4" per side for insulation and now you have a oven that takes up at least 62" of your outdoor counter or BBQ area. That's great if you've allowed for it. Your pics look like you do have the room but double check it.

Tikki carving, oven mouth...that sounds great. Can't wait to see it! -Dino
                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

might be 48 out side don't remember which one it was hole thing is drawn on auto cad in 3d

helps to be an electrician used my works soft ware that way i can check and get dimension from any where helps me stay on track
                  oven is only 1 part of an out door kitchen project might kill me first well just have to wait and see my whole body hurts lol

Comment

Working...
                  X