small problems with the ebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small problems with the ebook

Here are the things that I found confusing. I probably just misunderstood something.

Page 13: first sentence, about the size of the oven dome "the nearest size that you reach without cutting bricks"
    However, page 59, in material list says: "135 fire bricks, cut in half"
    So do we cut or we dont cut?

Another issue. The oven stand and foundation on page 13 are different on page 58 in material list. Why is that?

I hope someone can clarify that.

Thanks!
    my own Quest for Fire:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/leckig/

Re: small problems with the ebook

First issue: Page 13 refers to NOT having to cut the width of the bricks. Excluding the soldier course and hearth, the plans call for the use of 1/2 bricks, hence the reference on page 59 for 135 bricks, cut in half.
    There is much flexibility in building the dome based on desired interior height and width. The soldier course can be full height (9") or some type of modified. In my case, to achieve the desired height and keep my mortar joints between courses on the outside at a max. 1/4" (not necessary), I cut my soldier course at 5.75" inside/6.6" outside, giving it a ramp effect in setting the next course and starting the dome curviture.

simplified - The basic dome utilizes 1/2 bricks for all courses above the soldier course. The hearth utilizes full size bricks. The entry arch area will utilize a mix of cut and full size.

RT

RT

Comment

thanks for the explanation.

What about the second issue? Any idea?
      Greg
      my own Quest for Fire:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/leckig/

Comment

can't help with that, my stand and foundation are "custom".......fancy way of saying I altered the plans (wife wanted it as small as possible).

Comment

Hi,
          I also found the foundation sizes, as you pointed out, confusing. What size foundation did you go with?

Comment

Working...
          X