Fire clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire clay

What kind of fire clay and how much do I purchase to spread with a notched trowel undeneath the firebrick oven floor? (molded fire clay from a potter's store or powdered)? Retailers I've talked with in Richmond VA want to selm refractory cement to me. What kind of store will have the fire clay I need?
    Thanks for your help and guidance.

Re: Fire clay

Around here (southern california) fireclay is sold at building supply yards. Some of the builders on this site collect the fireclay 'dregs' from their initial brick cuttings and once dried out just use that to level the floor. As was mentioned previously, fireclay is inexpensive, around $9 for a 50lb bag. Refractory mortar is not recommended to level your oven floor.

Comment

thank you so much. Found it at Campbell's Ceramic Supply. Now my question is "what is the thickness of the layer of fire clay-sand mixture for the oven floor? thanks to all

Comment

You spread the sand/fireclay mixture with a notched tile trowel. Its only about 1/4" thick but it will vary a little bit in thickness depending on how level your hearth slab is.

Comment

Working...
        X