Steel, brick or clay WFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel, brick or clay WFO?

I have spent weeks researching options for a portable pizza oven. As I rent, it needs to portable and not too heavy.

Can you please give your opinions on this steel oven which the guy makes himself: Small Steel Oven

I like the fact that I can cook next to the coals or just in the top box when I do not want so much of smoke penetrating the food.

The Koala brand oven sold in Australia comes from the US and I am assuming made in China.
    Koala Oven |
    Outdoor Wood Fired Oven

I am concerned a portable clay oven will crack.

I have spent much time on this forum reading all the archives and do value members comments.
    Gayle

Re: Steel, brick or clay WFO?

There was some discussion of the aromatic embers oven on another forum:

Aromatic Embers

As for me: It seems exactly like cooking pizza on a pizza stone in a barbeque, albeit with a little more insulation. Most of the people who try to cook pizza that way, complain that it's hard to cook the top of the pizza without burning the bottom, since the source of heat is below.

It seems like a very expensive barbeque to me: I'd seriously want to cook on one before spending any actual money on this.

By the way, smoke flavor? Proper ovens operate at a temperature where they are virtually smokeless during pizza cooking.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Iwoman,
      I havent taken the time to read it all yet, (i will) but just going thru the pics, I like the guy who makes his own ovens.. They look much sturdier... And If he isnt far from you maybe you can go visit him and see them for yourself..... I would always reather buy something I can personally see,,,, rather than over the internet...
      Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Thanks for this advice. As this is a lot of money, I do want to make the correct choice and make amazing pizza. I would be buying sight-unseen. I have seen the Koala in a bbq store and the price is double of Aromatic Embers which is just ridiculous.

At present I am cooking pizza on the bbq with a tile. Negative is the fact bbq is 4 burner and so I am using too much gas to keep temp up and then to get temp up, bbq frame has warped and knobs have melted! I paid $600 AUD 10 years ago for this bbq and it is not a cheapy. I may even consider a small egg/weber style.

I will read the other other thread.

Gayle
        Gayle

Comment

I had already read that post on pizzamaking but thanks for the link - very helpful!
          Gayle

Comment

Do you have a yard where you rent ?? can you bauild an adobe oven... not to pricey and it works.... Im guessing you would have to knock it down when you leave..

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

Yes Mark, I have a good size yard but as we are not very 'handy' people I can see many problems and domestic disputes arising :P

I had considered a cob oven and have read up extensively about this.
              Gayle

Comment

hEY I-WOMAN
                Check out this thread from Uganda,,,,http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...anda-7728.html

You would be amazed what can be done with a pile of mid and no money.....

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

OMGosh, that is amazing! Thanks for link, truly inspirational!
                  Gayle

Comment

Isnt it amazing what can be done when you reall want too.....

Comment

If you're interested in the small model he's offering, it sounds like the "oven will reach at least 350degrees which is about the minimum to cook authentic full flavoured pizzas." (taken from the web page about the small steel oven you provided the link for) Okay, but how high does the temperature reach? My old electric oven reaches 550f and it takes 12 minutes to cook pizza. 350 degrees does not sound like "authentic" pizza cooking temperature, it sounds like you might end up with a pizza tile, all dry and dehydrated.
                      I would follow the advice of the others and see if you could get a hands on look before you take the plunge.

My 2 cents

Darius

Comment

I think this is the way to go for a WFO that is "portable"

Primavera Beehive Oven | Wood Fired Beehive Oven
                        Columbiana, Alabama WFO Build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/o...bama-7837.html

Comment

350 degrees does not sound like "authentic" pizza cooking temperature, it sounds like you might end up with a pizza tile, all dry and dehydrated.
                          You're right 350c = 662f. That's pretty cold in the pizza world.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                          X