Clay Flue Question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Flue Question ?

Buon Giorno ! can someone tell me the best place to find the clay flue liners. i gotta do some repairs to the oven. The stainless one i used didn't hold up. i just need to find a place that reasonably priced ya know..... God Bless

Re: Clay Flue Question ?

In our town, the masonry supply store is the best options. They have selection on size, and best price.

Look under 'masonry supply' in your phone book...

Good luck with your repair!

JED

Comment

Flue tile is cheap, but it's heavy. If you're in a hot climate, there may not be much call for flue tile, since it's used to line chimneys. As Jed said, check with the brick yards: the 8" square is the most common size, and the one you want. It may not be practical to ship.

There's been some talk of substituting 8" cast iron waste pipe for the clay liner. It may be more readily available.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thank u guy ! they clay is hard to find! i was wondering also about the black steel pipe used for the wood stoves. they sell it at lowes. would it hold up u think ?

Comment

nterguglielmi
          The stainless one i used didn't hold up
          What type of stainless did you use, 304 or 316?
          Also how old was it and what conditions was it used in?
          Stainless should last you 10 to 20 years in a flue. I'm hoping to get 5-8 years from the galvanised steel that I am using and then replace it with the more expensive and harder to find stuff. The ceramic or enameled (porcelain and not the enamel paint though) coated steel flue is also an option.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

black steel pipe used for the wood stoves. they sell it at lowes. would it hold up u think ?
            No, not even close. Single wall stove pipe will rot out in a season or two.

Comment

im sorry i said stainless, it was galvanized. rotted out in a years time.

Comment

ok what about a solid stack. made of cement of course. any particular mixture u would use if u think its possible?

Comment

Chimneys get very hot, particularly down at the bottom. Concrete may crack and spall, and refractory cement is expensive.

I can't believe that you can't get flue tile in a big city.

Masonry Products

is a place in NO that brags about a full line of masonry fireplace accesories on their homepage. And that's just the first listing i clicked on. There are dozens of others.

Comment

yeah all they say they can get is 13 x 13... every local place i call says 13 x 13 thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X