How to support heavy Roof above oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to support heavy Roof above oven?

All, I'm curious of how to support a hefty roof above my oven. I want a cement or stone roof. Oven will be 42" corner.

CAD Plans are here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...html#post71480

Re: How to support heavy Roof above oven?

A solid concrete roof? That is a lot of weight. First, that big masonry chimney will have to be supported separately from the oven dome: The dome will support the weight of the flue tiles, but the masonry surround will have to be supported separately. I built a really big masonry chimney by pouring a third slab above my oven with a hole in it for the flue tile, and the chimney enclosure was built up from this slab. (This slab was supported by uprights on the oven slab.) Something like this could work for you, you could even engineer your cast concrete roof as the support for your masonry chimney.

I'm wondering how you're going to pour this slab on an angle. It's also not going to be the easiest thing to get to with buckets of wet concrete.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I just posted a response to basically this question on your other thread... I wonder if some sort of tile or thin precast might not be better than a solid, sloped, monolithic roof... which might have to be precast upside down, flipped, and hoisted.

I am guessing that the easiest way to do this would be to build it out of ferrocement over a mold, like those cement boats that were being built a while back. I am doing something like that myself, using cement stucco over lath like the igloo-style ovens do but with a semi-framed, house-like structure. You could presumably try something similar, with a half-inch-thick layer of thin sand-based concrete over a lath and backerboard roof, polished to match the countertops. Not that I've ever actually done this, mind you... the idea just follows from what I've read in a Sunset book about decorative concrete, so take that as you will.
      -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

mstang,

Check out jamies build pics.. I think he has it going the way you need... Again,, Nice job Jamie

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Working...
        X