Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A newcomer needing help

Hi all,

i am just in the research stage of planning my WFO and i cant wait to start. I have studied all the plans etc and currently checking i can source all necessary materials as i live in New Zealand and thus sourcing the bricks seems a lot harder here than the rest of the world.

My main question is based around the fact that i need to make my WFO moveable due to my location and i am currently renting. My plan is to build the whole thing on a moveable table that has wheels on it. Now the only thing is i dont know how heavy the whole thikng will be in the end. I was wondering if any of you know the approximate weight of you WFO less the foundations and legs?

Have any of you heard of or built a moveable WFO?

If any of you have any recomendation for keeping the weight down on my WFO i would greatly appreciate it. I was wondering if i can substitute the concrete hearth for another material?

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Re: A newcomer needing help

Hi Neil

I remember reading a thread/build about a year ago (Australia I think) and this was built on a table system with heavy duty casters. It was built in the gentleman's garage and then wheeled to whichever location in his backyard he wanted. I do recall that he said it was very heavy to push around however I do not recall the thread name

Try surfing this site and hopefully you will come across it

Good luck!!
    John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Ni Neil
      and welcome aboard.
      I built a 40" Pompeii with around 140 fire bricks in the dome and another 30 or so in the chimney void and front arch.
      There is a portable Pompeii on this forum, just tried a search but couldn't find it.
      You will need to use the light weight insulating board and ideally get a precast oven for minimal weight.
      No matter which way, you would be looking at around 800kg for a brick oven and I'll pull a figure out of the air (as they don't have any figures for their kits) 500kg for a FB oven.
      A rigid, reinforced steel frame with a min 6 castors would need to hold that weight unless you use cast iron wheels

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hey Neil,

I've seen places selling WFOs that are prebuilt. Actually they used to have some for sale in a place where we used to get landscaping supplies in Tawa outside Wellington. I believe they were built on heavy duty steel bases with hoist points, which were then fork-lifted on a truck and craned into peoples yards. The stand hearth was constructed in the yards separately and then the oven was lowered on top of it.

My suspicion is even if you kept the weight down by using lighter materials, you're still going to be looking at a lot of weight. If you built it on wheels you would still have the problem of getting it on and off your transport when you moved.. so having something that could be craned/fork-lifted might be an advantage? Also I guess it would be important to make sure it had no chance of flexing and cracking if you're going to be moving it around; I think that's another reason why those one's I saw were built on steel. Although it would be somewhat of a hassle to build a heart/stand and then destroy it and build another at your new place, it might be easier than trying to move the whole thing?

Incidentally I'm sure that place sold firebricks as well, as they sold all sorts of wood-burners and firewood as well as aggregates.. it may be worth asking in a similar place if they can get them for you, or put you in touch with a supplier. Also if you can't get hold of them you could go for the regular clay-brick approach. I just completed my oven using standard clay bricks and so far so good. I also used terracotta tiles for the cooking surface which are probably a lot lighter than using brick and seem to be working fine.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...rkey-8967.html

Jim.

Comment

the mobile oven thread is here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...oven-4743.html

cheers,
          Mitch.
          -------------------------------------------
          My 2nd Build:
          Is here

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...uild-7866.html

Hi Milk.... welcome to the forum... Here is another mobile oven for you

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

How moveable? If you just need to move it in the next year or so, perhaps a simple steel frame on pads or a base would be enough if you resign yourself to then needing a forklift and fairly heavy duty truck to move to anther base. Mine is built that way though I have no plans to move it (just didn`t want to deal with a lot of masonary work and could weld my own base). it is 36 ", super insulated and I estimate it at about one and a quarter tons. john

Comment

How moveable? If you just need to move it in the next year or so, perhaps a simple steel frame on pads or a base would be enough if you resign yourself to then needing a forklift and fairly heavy duty truck to move to anther base. Mine is built that way though I have no plans to move it (just didn`t want to deal with a lot of masonary work and could weld my own base). it is 36 ", super insulated and I estimate it at about one and a quarter tons. john
                John,
                If you see this, could you post some pics of your build. I am hoping to do a similar steel stand and am interested how others have done it.
                joe

Comment

Working...
                X