Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you identify this oven? Argentina? Is it a good newbie oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you identify this oven? Argentina? Is it a good newbie oven?

Hi All,
    I am a newbie to the oven world. I have wanted a pizza oven for years, but due to the cost, size and my general lack of knowledge I have not made the leap. I ran across someone selling one local that intrigued me though. I just want to make sure it is a good oven before I go any further. The lady said it was imported from argentina and its called a "gauchito".

She said the hearth and dome is made of some kind of stone harvested from the andes that they specifically make stoves from in south america. She also said that you start the fire outside of the oven then shovel the hot coals into the oven to heat it up. I asked if you can build the fire inside and she said it would be too smokey.

I am not sure if this is a good oven for me or not to be honest. Its in my price range ~1K and its local for me to pickup, etc.

Any ideas or thoughts on what exactly this oven is, how it should properly be used and if its a good first time oven investment?

Thanks all,
    JD

Re: Can you identify this oven? Argentina? Is it a good newbie oven?

Originally posted by jdbizkits View Post
    Hi All,
    She said the hearth and dome is made of some kind of stone harvested from the andes that they specifically make stoves from in south america. She also said that you start the fire outside of the oven then shovel the hot coals into the oven to heat it up. I asked if you can build the fire inside and she said it would be too smokey.
    Hi JD,

I have no experience with this oven... So my comments may not apply!

However, I know from my experience with my oven that I could never get the thing to cooking temperature with 'hot coals'. Anything short of a 'scarry big fire' over a period of an hour or so won't get my oven hot. Coals just wouldn't get'r hot.

In places where they don't have access to fire brick, folks will build ovens from any locally available material.. And for the most part, they will cook food well. If you have access to a low duty fire brick to build the oven chamber, I expect your investment will last better over time. (will tollerate the heat well over time, won't spall, less likely to crack, will hold heat well, etc.)

From the picture it doesn't look like the oven has any insulation. And all that means is the oven won't hold heat as well as an oven with insulation. (I can cook for a couple days after a fire in our insulated oven).

So a couple of comments...

JED

Comment

There is a South American tradition of oven building. "Horno" is the name for this type of oven, and they all seem to have the vent in the middle of the dome, which for me is a deal killer right off the bat. Add to that the apparent lack of insulation, and you have an oven that isn't going to be very useful.

There was a vendor on eBay a few years ago that was selling something like this that was made in Uruguay. I'm not familiar with anyone who's actually used one.

Out of curiosity: What's the diameter of the cooking floor?
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

You might want to consider the new FB Giardino. It's a fully insulated oven kit for $1250. It is 24", and has a proper vent, firebrick tile floor, great insulation, etc.

James

Casa2G Series Residential Pizza Ovens
        Residential Pizza Ovens :: Forno Bravo Store
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Got a semi-parallel thread going over in "Other Oven Types"

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...orno-9066.html

Namaste, y'all - Bill

Comment

As others have mentioned, this does not look to have the level of insulation needed to be sufficient for pizza. Trying to avoid insulation thickness is false economy, yes it'll be cheaper but you'll consume more firewood and have trouble achieving the right heat levels to be good. Here in the States they'd say "penny wise and pound foolish"

Comment

Working...
            X