Smoke free zones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke free zones

I've been looking at building a Pompei style oven over the past few weeks until discovering that I live in a UK smoke controlled zone, in which I cannot burn wood except using an authorised appliance (which naturally a home built oven wouldn't be). Has anyone come across this problem before? The only solution I can think of would be to heat the oven using a UK authorised smoke free fuel (eg Duraflame Logs or similar). However I wouldn't anticipate this to be very effective, not to mention it not having quite the same appeal as traditional wood. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks
    James
    Last edited by ja82uk; 08-07-2006, 09:30 AM.

I'm far from an authority...

I think that various fuels qualify under UK smoke-free rules, including hard-nut anthracite, and various processed types of coke. There's a long tradition of coal fueled ovens here in the New York City area, and they have their partisans as vociferous as the wood fueled oven ones.

Here's a page with links to literature and dealers of smokeless fuels in the UK.

Best of luck.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

That's very useful to know, if the alternative fuels work just as well then I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help.

James

Comment

Working...
      X