EBAY or not to EBAY??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBAY or not to EBAY??

OK, so i am a first timer and will attempt to build my own oven ...from scratch. Well Im not rich and some of the stuff I need is just expensive! And to buy a kit.. well you can forget that also! So I turned to EBAY...OK lots of goodies, pretty decent prices, they deliver ( cause i have no car!) and i can get a garantee thru my PayPal...but its EBAY?!?!? anyone got some good or not so good experinces with Oven building on EBAY that might help me to decide?
    thanks

Re: EBAY or not to EBAY??

Grandroach,

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you working on an oven, always a worthy project!

I don't have any experience with wood oven supplies from eBay. Most of what you need is masonry products, and in my mind I don't typically associate mail order delivery with brick... Anyway, if you can't scrounge brick parts from your neighborhood, or arrange an order delivered from a local masonry supply company, it certainly can't hurt to comparison shop on the computer.

Good luck with your build! Keep us post on your progress.

JED

Comment

Perhaps when looking for some brick you can scour the brick yards and bins for seconds and others for a savings. Nothing like the thrill of a good find except a better price

As far as eBay, I believe some people have purchased insulation there, but brick? Shipping would be tough.
      My Build Thread

Comment

Compare the total cost with shipping and any tax. I have purchased a variety of items from Ebay and continue to do so. I just consider it another resource. Check the sellers feedback also to make sure you feel comfortable.

Comment

I bought my face brick on ebay, but I went to pick it up. I don't know about Germany, because I don't know the language, but I spend some time nosing around the UK and the French sites, and they have some remarkable used masonry on offer there. I love the old roof tiles you can get in Europe.

Generally speaking, shipping is going to be the killer for these sales. I bought my perlite on ebay, and spent more to ship it than to buy it.

It's best to start local, and local merchants will arrange delivery. If you can't get it, or the prices are outrageous, then you can go farther afield.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Is there a German version of Craigslist?
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I too consider ebay "just another source". There are good deals, a lot of "full retail prices", and the rediculous - those that have no idea what they are selling and are asking way too little (good for us) or far too much.

Personally, I purchased my perlite from ebay since there was no local supplier of this quantity, my 2" Insulfrax blanket (GREAT deal at $20 plush shipping - under $40 total), extra long cast iron antique log tongs ($10 plus shipping), and finally - the tiny colored mosaic tile I used around my entry arch.
              As the others have said, buying online usually isn't very cost effective on masonry items - you will pay dearly for shipping.

RT

Comment

You need to have blind faith in the sellers which could cause a problem when they stand to profit from your purchase.
                I have bought hundreds of items from ebay, but you need to do your research and ask the relevant questions to satisfy your curiosity.
                Postage/transport is often the killer, especially with the heavy goods.
                However, don't give up, hang in there and try to source local materials for your build.
                I would suggest demolition companies for all the bricks (but check that they break when hit and not crumble), solid fired clay pavers are a good alternative to firebricks if they are unaffordable!

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

For what its worth here's my two cents:

Homebuilders build homes with fireplaces in the livingroom because the concept of a hearth is as universal as a front door. Give a few local homebuilders or masons a call and ask about leftovers, most have leftovers and in Europe disposing of small amounts of heavy things (like brick) is costly and annoying. They may be willing to drop the stuff off just to avoid having to landfill the stuff. Same for all the components (cement, clay, etc.). Having built my oven this past summer because the local guy asked for way too much I can tell you the pleasure of using your own hands to create an oven is incomparable! The only embarrassing part is trying to fit "I built my own pizza oven" into every conversation you have with any stranger. Looking back the pleasure of having built something with your own hands that will endure for years to come is...priceless. this coming from a carpenter! There's just something about stone and brick which is so fundamental. I will stop talking now...

Comment

Hey grandroach

Where in Germany are you? I live near the border and got some of my stuff over there... so maybe that might help. I saw some interesting items on ebay, too, but too far away for me.

Why not post a link to ebay items you're considering, and we can check them out? Nothing wrong with buying off ebay - and as far as I know there isn't an equivalent to Craigs list around here.
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Technically there is a Cragislist in Germany. It craigslist.de. A quick look shows that it's not as active as here in North America, but there are some postings. Swiss activity looks pretty lean with only 4 postings in the last month in electronics, which should be the one of the most active.

Comment

I got my insulating blankets off ebay for less than 1/2 of what they would cost anywhere else and that included shipping.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                        X