Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth pour

Hi guys,

Well I am about to lay the foundation soon as the weather clears up and the suppliers are open again.

Anyways I am thinking ahead re the hearth and had an idea I thought I would ask opinions on or if anyone else has tried it.

Well I am using the 8inch cement blocks like everyone else for the stand but I was thinking rather then forming up the hearth frame with wood, that I would use the 4inch wide cement blocks as the form work. Ie lay a row of the 4 inch wide blocks to stop the cement from pouring out the sides and these blocks will become part of the wall.

Has anyone else tried this or have any comments on it.

Thanks
    ikhan42

Re: Hearth pour

Check your PM's

Comment

I didn't know Kevin Rudd was building an oven. That's big news.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        I didn't know Kevin Rudd was building an oven. That's big news.
        LOL yeah our PM is a busy man does everything but run the country. Hey hes a politician after all.

Thanks johnny but I am in sydney and the shipping would make it an expensive exercise from melbourne.

Any comments on my idea though. I figure I am using the bricks anyways so why buy wood that I will end up ditching. The slab would still be sitting on 4 inches of concrete blocks on all sides and will also be resting on Bondek so hopefully weight distribution wouldnt be a problem.

The way I figure if the scotts oven relies on reinfocement bars to suspend their oven on teh concrete briks and its a heavier oven then what I am proposing shouldnt be an issue. But would like the engineering type to maybe give some input.

thanks again
        ikhan42

Comment

I would think it should be ok, make sure the ovens weight is over the blocks not suspended on just the slab. For Sydney supply see Andrew at Field Furnace Refractories in Wetherill Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
            I would think it should be ok, make sure the ovens weight is over the blocks not suspended on just the slab. For Sydney supply see Andrew at Field Furnace Refractories in Wetherill Park.
            Johnny,

I have been emailing Andrew from field furnace as they have all the stuff in one place, I will definately be having the hearth slab resting on the concrete bricks I cant see how the scotts oven with the floor as it is in the Alans book is a secure or sturdy oven the engineering doesnt make sence to me.

Does anyone know anyone on this forum who has done what I am proposing so I could talk to them about pitfalls.

thanks
            ikhan42

Comment

Sure you can. I am going to use 4x4x16 block (sitting on 6x8x16 CMU) as a form on 2 sides of mine.

Comment

Hi
                I was thinking the very same myself, but with two or three courses of engineering brick. then bringing the hearth slab up to the level of the top brick. i plan on building an enclosure, the same dimensions at the base for the verniculite, so the red bricks showing around the edges won't show from the top, if that makes sense. Building a wooden form for the hearth slab, does seem a lot of unnecesssary expense, to my mind.

Ikhan - you go first!

Jon
                Cardiff
                UK

Comment

I will definitely be having the hearth slab resting on the concrete bricks I cant see how the scotts oven with the floor as it is in the Alans book is a secure or sturdy oven the engineering doesn't make sense to me.
                  Nor to anybody else. Having the support slab hung from a few pieces of exposed rebar is bad on so many levels that I'm surprised that anybody thought of it in the first place. I suppose the original idea was with the insulation below the support slab (?) that it helped keep the slab hot, as if the rebar pins didn't act as a thermal bridge...
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                  X