Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi From Melbourne

Hi All
    I live in melbourne australia and have been interested in wfo for a while and i am currently looking at different diy kits that are out there . I all ways loved cooking on the weber but now i want the real thing .
    cheers cook21

Re: Hi From Melbourne

Dont get a kit, build your own, its not that hard and there is great back up on this forum..
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Cook21,
      what's the handle?
      Male or female?
      I assume male as you
      all ways loved cooking on the weber but now i want the real thing
      and they are generally male. You know the traditional Aussie bloke thing.
      Anyway, welcome aboard and I have added tou to our ever growing list of contributors to this great forum.
      As Allan suggested,
      Dont get a kit, build your own, its not that hard and there is great back up on this forum..
      There's all the help you need and plenty of resources at hand.
      Just keep the pictures flowing, members love them and they help us help you.

Cheers.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi there fellow melbournians and WFO enthuasiasts, well im about to embark on my own wood fired oven im getting plans from traditional ovens from which i have heard they are good, i got the pompei oven plans aswell but thought it would be easier for me to build the trad oven, so anyway i have thousands of questions, i have read alot but probably not enough, 1. Has anyone used the old red bricks for their oven walls ? is there a difference for the home oven, 2. can the red bricks also be used for the oven floor/ cooking surface ? ( trying to save on costs, firebricks $3.50 each) 3. has anyone any left over material they want to off load ?
        Get back to me on those and i will ask more questions......

Thanks Andreas

Comment

hi brickie in oz and nissanneil thanks for your reply ....... i have ordered a kit i have looked at building but i am a little time poor (have to many projects on the go ) i will post some pics up .

Comment

Hi Andreas and welcome aboard to yet another Aussie.

1. Has anyone used the old red bricks for their oven walls ? is there a difference for the home oven,
            Check out the Russell Jeavons thread in the WFO Restaurants, He has written a book titled "Your brick oven, building it & baking in it" ISBN 1 904943 25 X where he has built numerous ovens (2 in his pizza restaurant, see

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f27/...alia-1930.html
            That said, I am not sure of the red fired bricks in Melbourne, but some of those produced here are suitable and can be used. The main thing to do I feel is to smash a few sample bricks with a heavy maybe sledge hammer, if they crumble and fall apart, DON"T use them, but if they break into several pieces, then they should be fine for the temperatures that you will be achieving in your oven,

2. can the red bricks also be used for the oven floor/ cooking surface ?
            A brick company in the Adelaide hills seem many 4" solid clay fired pavers to oven builders as they are fired at 1200˚C. Rusell uses these 2" clay pavers for the hearths in the ovens he builds.

As other members within this forum have stated previously, "that a red clay brick wf oven is better than no oven".

Cheers.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks Neill it was a good read worth the visit if ever im there, and good tip on breaking the brick though now how to get the ebay sellers to let me break their bricks before i bid, i have seen a couple of hundred bricks sell for $50 thats value......

Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by andreas View Post
                i have seen a couple of hundred bricks sell for $50 thats value......

Andreas
                I got 330 new slimline bricks off Epay last week for $50, I was quoted over $1 each at the brickyard for the same bricks.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Wow i just got the plans and pictures my future WFO and its a monster waiting to be tackled... i know there will be problems with the wife with materials lying around for a while ( how did you handle this ?) also with no brickwork experience it will be a challenge and a slow progress keeping everything straight..... I am going to mass my materials first then start i will post pictures from day one.... great site great info..

Comment

Originally posted by andreas View Post
                    i know there will be problems with the wife with materials lying around for a while ( how did you handle this ?)
                    Thats easy, get rid of the wife....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

currently in discussions brickie

Comment

Im in Whittlesea, if Im handy to your place you can duck around and get some ideas off my oven if it helps.

Bricklaying help.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks brickie, i just might take you up on that offer some time in the near future....

Andreas ( Newport)

Comment

... or you could offer your wife unlimited, gourmet pizza, home-baked bread and many more WFO treats! That should swing the deal!!

Rossco
                            / Rossco

Comment

use the wife as filling for your base :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X