Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door shape

Hi All
    The 63% of inside dome hight is often mentioned as a critical dimention, yet I have not picked up any guidelines with regards to the top arch shape of the door opening. Some merely have a level angle iron and others build an arch of an arc which does not seem to be of a set specification.
    From my view as absolute novice it seems strange that the 63 would be critical but the shape not. What am I missing please?
    Dolf

Re: Door shape

I don"t think you are missing anything Dolf. The 63 % thing is a rule of thumb. Not every WFO is so precisely built that differences of doorway shape alone are a determining factor as to efficiency of internal air/gas flow. Some WFOs being squatty and low some taller and more conical, some interiors are rough and some smooth, some footprints elliptical, some round, some square with round corners, etc etc. Each factor contributes either positively or negatively to the overall performance of the air/gas flow within the WFO.

Bottom line being that given many decades (millenia) and hundreds (thousands) of WFOs constructed the ratio of building the height of the door at or near 63 % of the interior height of the dome has consistantly produced the best odds of the WFO working as hoped. As to shape of the door I would think that is is simply one of the many factors involved. I would suspect the actual area of the doorway as compared to the volume of the interior might be more critical in the performance than door shape, yet I have no proof beyond that suspicion.

Design is an art as well as well as a science. And luck plays a part too.

Not such a cut and dry answer as you had hoped for, I'm guessing.
    Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

The truth is never simple :-)
      Thanks for the logical answer Wiley. I guess idiots like me are "over aware" of the limitations to our WFO skills, so we perhaps over analyse in places to try to limit the tolerance of error to the unavoidables only.
      Cruel truth is also that even if you give me a "perfect" oven now, I will be likely to stuff up for a while till I got the knack, so I guess I will also just have to learn the ropes of the outcome of my building efforts :-)

Comment

Life is like a merry-go-round... the destination is the ride. Enjoy!
        Bests,
        Wiley

Comment

INdeed :-)

Comment

Working...
          X